Incubator completed/Test eggs in

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I made the incubator out of a styrofoam ice chest. I got some of the parts donated to me through a local internet group called freecycle, where people post stuff to give away rather than through in trash. I got the PC fan, the transformer, and the ice chest for free. I had some wire for the bottom. I bought the lamp kit and a hot water heater thermostat and a thermometer, wired it together and had a terrible time controlling the temperature. I ended up rearranging the light, fan, and thermostat several times. Changed different wattage light bulbs several times. I also bought an accurite thermometer/hydrometer and a springfield thermometer/hydrometer and after searching high and low found a water wiggler. I put so many holes in the styrofoam that I needed a roll of tape to patch it up from moving stuff around. I put a small window in the top. I calibrated the thermometers by doing the ice water test. The accurite is the most accurit. only .4* off. We have no Lowes or Home Depot around here so unfortunately the hot water heater thermostat was not very good(I think if I would have gotten one there it would have been better)

Eventually a friend of mine gave me a used wafer thermostat for an incubator. Within 7 hours the temperature was holding steady enough that I decided to put the eggs in. I have the bator in a room with a vaporisor that is putting humidity into the room. The 3 hydrometers are reading 45%, 29%, and 39%. I guess that will do for now. The water wiggler is at 100.9* and subtracting .4* that would be 100.5*. The incubator cost about $20, the thermometers cost about $30 altogether thats $50. I will make another one but will probably put a shield on the light and run the fan blow right into the light and sponge area. There is one BYC members posted like that and I think that would help. I probably will need to make one soon with all that tape:) But it was a very good learning experience and all I need is a good box to transfer the parts. I will definetely make sure I have a decent thermostat next time.

I put 5 banty mixed chicks(?) BO,Cochin, and Mille Fleur combo so who knows? Hopefully something will hatch!!!!

I'm using a control from an old electric frying pan for a thermostat. It's a little touchy to adjust but it seems to hold the temp with very little fluctuation.

My problem was too much difference from one side of the bator to the other.
sad.png

I showed a diagram of the bator to a local heating contractor this morning and he suggested I add a cold air return duct from the cool side of the bator to the baffle in front of my light bulb. I'll roll a piece of tin or cardboard into a tube and put in place this evening. I agree with him that it will make a major change in the airflow.
ya.gif

Yes I would like to see a picture of that when you are done. I saw some good pictures somewhere on here where someone had four lightbulbs in an overhead fan combo light socket and a shield and a fan and I thought that might help with the fluctuations more. But they must of had a big box to start with to fit all that in. So do you just take the end off the frying pan thing and (wait how did you wire that?) I would love to see a diagram of that or picture. That would be much cheaper than buying incubator thermostats. Always looking to save a buck when I can!!! Cant afford not to. And I must say what an excellent idea!!!!KUDOS TO YOU!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom