Incubator design questions

Sseckel

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Southeast, IA
I am looking into building my own incubator and wondered if anyone has tries using seed warming mats as a heat source? The one I am considering is the Apollo horticulture seedling heat mat with thermostat controller, so I think it would stay constant. Thoughts?

Last edited:
You may still need a thermostat unless the size is exactly right and the room temp is correct as well.

It would have to be fairly small for a seed mat to heat it. Perhaps a mid size coolerbator.

Thanks ChickenCanoe!

I am thinking quite small, the floor space would probably only be the size of the mat or very slightly larger (1-2"). I only plan to hatch small batches of banty eggs.

Does the height matter too much? I only plan to do a single tray of eggs. So I was thinking no more than necessary to fit the equipment comfortably and room for the chick until they dry off.

I would do several tests to see what the temp/ventilation combination achieves the best temperature.
It's possible that you can control temperature with ventilation alone.
Make sure you keep plenty of space for humidity sources.

Here is the basic beginning of my bator, it measures 12"Wx22"Lx7"H. I am testing the heat mat right now ( I will move it away from the window before I set the eggs). I am planning the ventilation right now, what do commerical use? I am thinking about just putting some holes into either the side walls or the plexiglass top. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom