Incubator Done...Thanks for all the help!!!

bharzman

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2015
Honey do list just got a little smaller.
Chicken incubator.......DONE!
3/4" finish grade plywood
36" tall, by 18" wide by 24" deep
Currently set up for 48 eggs, however it has the space for another 24.
1 - pan with sponge and water for moisture
2 - jars act as a way to help hold the heat
1 - fan to move the air to avoid "hot" spots
2 - heat lamp bulbs for heat
1 - thermostat to keep it at 96.1 (or whatever the wife tells me to put it)
1 - AcuRite 00325 Home Comfort Monitor

..still need to buy one more thermometer so I have 2 in the box

Extra wood then used to make the base that you see it sitting on.

Works great! Thanks for all the help!!!!

great build bharzman I really like the design. Keep us posted on how the first hatch does.

thumbsup.gif

Question. What temp do I set it too?
still air 100 F with 61% humidity
102F with 58% humidty
or
forced air
99F at 56% humidity
98F at 70% humidty
The above are from "Hatching & Brooding your own chicks" by Gail Damerow

or do you all have a better temp & humidity for my unit

Read hatching eggs 101 in the learning center. I have a fan in a home made bator. Hatch at 100*, though recommendation is 99.5* Keep humidity 30 - 40 % through day 18 then boost to 65%. Get very good hatches. Humidity is not set in stone, but used as a tool to keep your air cells the right size to optimize your hatch.

I just did my first successful hatch. Had it set to 37.5c (99.5f) in a forced air incubator, first chick hatched just before day 21 and the rest during day 21, still two to hatch and about 8 hours of day 21 to go so I'd say my temp was pretty good.

For the humidity I was in the mid 40s for most of the incubation and went to 80% for lock down. I just checked I was happy the aircells were not to big or small at my 7 and 14 day candling. I read that slightly lower is less likely to have a negative impact than too high so I went for the lower end of the spectrum.

I'm certainly no expert, there are lots of opinions and different methods people use and are successful with so find what works for you.

Read hatching eggs 101 in the learning center. I have a fan in a home made bator. Hatch at 100*, though recommendation is 99.5* Keep humidity 30 - 40 % through day 18 then boost to 65%. Get very good hatches. Humidity is not set in stone, but used as a tool to keep your air cells the right size to optimize your hatch.

+1

but I would try to do a 24hour test run first before adding eggs if possible. I have no experience building in wood but from other posts I have read you may have some weird humidity issues as any unsealed wood will affect the humidity until it reaches a happy medium.

how do you regulate the humidity?
I see pan of water and sponge.
but how do you make it more or less humid

how do you regulate the humidity?
I see pan of water and sponge.
but how do you make it more or less humid

Surface area of water (depth makes no difference) is what varies humidity, greater area greater humidity. So you're better to have the trays divided into 3 or 4 sections so you can fill up one at a time until the humidity reaches a level you are happy with.

Back
Top Bottom