incubator electric failed - hatch?

yallapilko

Songster
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
This evening the electricity went off for 10 minutes and the incubator with my precious eggs in it, went down to 91 F 33 degrees C, and the humidity rose by 3% . My question is at 6 days into incubating is this going to cause a problem with the eventual hatch? The person responsible for the electricity failure is now in the dog house!

I should add it took another 15 mins to get back to the correct temperature and humidity.

Thanks funsized72. Wow that went hot! I'm glad it worked out for you. I hope I have the same luck.

It's off again! Anyone know the tolerance of incubating quail eggs to temperature fluctuations?

You should always stay the course. There is some tolerance because in the real world the hen has to eat. She does get up and leave the eggs. The other factor of consideration is just because the incubator is high or low on temperature doesn't mean the embryo has reached that temperature yet.

Thanks Chicken Obsessed. Yep I'll stay the full course and a great point that the embryo may not have cooled... I'm a bit more optimistic and the electricity is back to normal now.

Yes they can be fine, just keep them incubating as normally as you can. Eggs are made to withstand some cooling as the hen does need to leave the eggs sometimes to eat, drink and defecate. I've had an incubator come unplugged for 6 hours and still had a decent hatch rate so don't sweat it so much.

Thanks overrun... 6 hours is a long time to still get a good hatch rate. What % did you get? Maybe I feel a bit guilty for giving someone a hard time for switching off the electricity accidentally!

Back
Top Bottom