Incubator fell over and one cracked

Hsquires

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
I have an egg that started pipping, well, my incubator half fell off the little stand I had it on and the one that started piping, well the shell came off and all I see is pure white, but I sometimes see the baby chick pushing against it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_220444673.jpg
    IMG_20231102_220444673.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 33
I have an egg that started pipping, well, my incubator half fell off the little stand I had it on and the one that started piping, well the shell came off and all I see is pure white, but I sometimes see the baby chick pushing against it.
You might have to wait a bit and cut open the egg yourself slowly, letting the chick come out. I don't know much about the subject though.

That what I was thinking too. Ivan still see the baby moving in there, just wasn't sure what to do from here. Today is day 21

In the photo, the white part is the membrane that we usually don't notice because it is just inside the shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
This guide on assisted hatching might help.

Based on what it says, I would try applying something (the article recommends coconut oil) to moisten the membrane and let you see what is inside. Depending on whether you see blood vessels, and what the chick is doing, it might need more time to absorb the yolk. If it is done absorbing the yolk and has not come out, you might need to help by opening the membrane.

In the photo, the white part is the membrane that we usually don't notice because it is just inside the shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
This guide on assisted hatching might help.

Based on what it says, I would try applying something (the article recommends coconut oil) to moisten the membrane and let you see what is inside. Depending on whether you see blood vessels, and what the chick is doing, it might need more time to absorb the yolk. If it is done absorbing the yolk and has not come out, you might need to help by opening the membrane.
Oh so there's a tiny cut in the outer membrane and I see a little bit of blood, it's still moving but I'm not hearing any peeping coming from it and one of the other eggs is starting to hatch. The one in question has been pipping since sometime yesterday

Back
Top Bottom