Incubator for Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jess5254, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I have a Brinsea eco advance but my call ducks are producing more than it can handle and I was wondering what everybody else uses for their call ducks??? Or what would be the best incubator for call duck eggs?? Thanks

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I use a Humidaire model 50 barrel type for incubation and I have two model 21 hatchers. You have to do your homework to locate the Humidaires because they are out of business, but many Call duck people swear by them. The model 200 barrel type will incubate more eggs than the model 50 but be sure you know your doorway measurements before buying...we had a hard time getting the model 50 into the doorway of the house!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. jess5254

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks for the info I will do some homework. I only have three pairs right now and this is my first year incubating my own eggs instead of buying them. I got sick and tired of wasting my money buying eggs and having them shipped. They are hard to hatch to begin with and then you add shipping and the fertility rates it is a wonder anybody can hatch these things. So far this year they have laid 13 eggs, 6 are fertile and two were frozen they must have laid during the night because I check several times a day for the eggs. Not Bad I dont think. But I also did not expect anything until mid January or even feburary I must be doing something right. Although I have talked to people with some sebastopol geese and they are laying earlier this year too, I don't know what all this means maybe and easy winter!! Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks again Jess

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Don't be disappointed if you don't have fertility yet due to the short days.

5. jess5254

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    okay thanks I worry about my calls a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by