1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Incubator for eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moosey80203, Apr 22, 2007.

1. moosey80203

moosey80203 Hatching

Apr 8, 2007
    I have a very simple question. I've been reading up on raising chickens and planning things thru before purchasing the chicks. Now this morning I have a chance to purchase fertile eggs locally and thought that might be an exciting experience. My question is, would I have to purchase lots of expensive equipment to incubate the eggs, or is there a simple old fashioned way? Thanks for any help or advice.[​IMG]

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Songster

Mar 29, 2007
    A basic incubator costs roughly $45.00 at farm supply stores. Many people make diy incubators, which you could do. I've made one, but have not used it yet. I plan to purchase an incubator and set eggs in both at once. You can make the basic 'diy' model using a styrofoam ice chest, a lamp kit, a dimmer switch, a thermometer and hygrometer (sp?), and stuff from the kitchen such as a dish for water, a cellulose sponge, metal cooling rack. There's lots of photos of home made incubators on BYC that you could search for and get an idea.

3. gavbarker

gavbarker Songster

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    Im no expert but i would say buy one and get a humidity reader and a thermomiter and your sorted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: