Incubator hatching babies!!!

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
Ohhhhh how I love hatching day (days)! I had horrendous hatch rates with duck eggs this summer/fall I think in part due to weather fluctuations and having a horrible time keeping the humidity consistent. So I decided to try again 4 weeks ago now, since its colder and I find this time of year its much easier to keep the humidity consistent. I'll post pics later today/tmw, but so far having much better luck! And I don't even care that I'm going to have ducklings in the garage for the next 8 weeks in the winter, THEY ARE SO STINKING CUTE as always. I love their freshly hatched, dried and fluffy cuteness. Started with 19 eggs at the beginning, 1 week in, had 11 eggs growing. By week 3 only had to toss 1 quitter, so had 10 at lockdown. I knew I'd have about half hatch Sun/Mon and the other half hatch Mon-Wed because I had added a few extras a day or two later... so far I have 5 hatched and in the brooder and a few more eggs are working on hatching. I'm so excited!

Ohhhhh how I love hatching day (days)! I had horrendous hatch rates with duck eggs this summer/fall I think in part due to weather fluctuations and having a horrible time keeping the humidity consistent. So I decided to try again 4 weeks ago now, since its colder and I find this time of year its much easier to keep the humidity consistent. I'll post pics later today/tmw, but so far having much better luck! And I don't even care that I'm going to have ducklings in the garage for the next 8 weeks in the winter, THEY ARE SO STINKING CUTE as always. I love their freshly hatched, dried and fluffy cuteness. Started with 19 eggs at the beginning, 1 week in, had 11 eggs growing. By week 3 only had to toss 1 quitter, so had 10 at lockdown. I knew I'd have about half hatch Sun/Mon and the other half hatch Mon-Wed because I had added a few extras a day or two later... so far I have 5 hatched and in the brooder and a few more eggs are working on hatching. I'm so excited!
Hatching is the best! Sounds like it’s going well this time, can’t wait to see these babies!

Here’s the first 5 that hatched yesterday. The only ones I know parentage of are the two black ones. They are from Cayuga eggs. But only half Cayuga as my drakes are other breeds. All are likely mixes 🥰🐣🦆

Attachments

• F46790C9-28A9-4276-8886-1008EF0DEB2A.jpeg
    F46790C9-28A9-4276-8886-1008EF0DEB2A.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 3
What all you got in your flock?
Drakes:
2 magpies (one of my best ducks ever!)
1 fawn/white runner
3 mixed breeds (1 of which is just a touch too young to breed yet, the other two started but not sure if it was in time for these eggs a month ago)

Ladies:
3 welshies (too young, like 3 months old now - not laying yet)
3 cayugas (laying and about half my eggs were from them)
1 magpie (might be laying)
A couple of runners (fawn/white, blue, mixed) - adults, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 blue swedish (my other best duck) - adults, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 blue swedish mix (might be laying)
2 mallards - adults, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 white layer - adult, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 crested white layer - adult, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 pekin - adult, taking winter off I'm guessing

I think that about does it. I keep some for eggs/pets and some are hatched and raised for meat. But they are all loved and spoiled. I also have a mixed chicken flock as well LOL.

Drakes:
2 magpies (one of my best ducks ever!)
1 fawn/white runner
3 mixed breeds (1 of which is just a touch too young to breed yet, the other two started but not sure if it was in time for these eggs a month ago)

Ladies:
3 welshies (too young, like 3 months old now - not laying yet)
3 cayugas (laying and about half my eggs were from them)
1 magpie (might be laying)
A couple of runners (fawn/white, blue, mixed) - adults, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 blue swedish (my other best duck) - adults, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 blue swedish mix (might be laying)
2 mallards - adults, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 white layer - adult, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 crested white layer - adult, taking winter off I'm guessing
1 pekin - adult, taking winter off I'm guessing

I think that about does it. I keep some for eggs/pets and some are hatched and raised for meat. But they are all loved and spoiled. I also have a mixed chicken flock as well LOL.
Wow you’ve got a great mix!

Back
Top Bottom