Incubator Hatching when removing chicks add how much water?

lisalou

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Hello I just wondered when removing chicks after 24 hours of hatching trying obvoiusly to wait for most of them how much water to add again as last time reserve tanks were totally empty and added small amounts of water but the remaining chicks that had pipped were shrink wrapped and I didnt want this to happen again I have a brinsea Octagon 20 eco and just was looking for advise, or should I leave chicks in for 48 hours like Brinsea recommend which seems along time as weve had a very successful hatch
wink.png
and its getting a bit crowded. any suggestions? many thanks
smile.png

I have just transfered 11 out of the incubator into brooder there was one left that had tried to hatch and had totally suctioned in and dried up so weve soaked the inner shell off it was quite a job but its fine and sitting with the non hatched eggs in the incubator so ive topped right up and we will see what happens its only my second hatch on this incubator and tells you in the instructions dont open the top youll let out the humidity but it doesnt last with all those chicks in so i will get a humidity thermometer thingy ?! so far 12 out of 20.

I dont have one of those incubators so I couldnt tell you. I keep my incubators between 70 and 85 humidity if I can during hatch time. And I do retrieve chicks if it starts getting crowded. You can leave them for 48 hours as they dont need food or water for those first 48 hours. But if it strats getting too crowded I pull them out. Only the dry ones and I try to be as fast as I can so I dont affect the temp or humidity too bad. Also make sure you leave at least 2 chicks in the bator so the will make noise for the others.

I put a washing up cloth in wet a new one of course and another egg had cracked so I have given it a little helping hand I just cant help myself:D I know some of the ones Ive helped in previous hatches have always gone on to be sickly chicks and some but not all have died but when you pay so much for an egg I do like my moneys worth and I hate to see them die so Ive opened it a tiny bit see if that will do the trick
hmm.png

Last edited:
My chicks started hatching last night. Unfortunatly I came down with the flu, and I can't stand the smell right now. I feel like I am neglecting them, but if you can leave them in there for 48 hours I guess they are going to be fine. I am going to try and go in there in a little bit and do a head count. My quail babies are in the same room, and have there own "scent" which is really the culprit. Maybe my dh will help me later.

Good luck with your hatch

Back
Top Bottom