Incubator/Hatching

New2quaill

Chirping
Sep 14, 2021
Morning all,

So just wanted to get some more experienced Hatcher’s opinion on this.
This is my first time hatching , two of my quail hatched two days ago, they are in the brooder . So far so good . Two hatched this morning though , before I went to work.. I know supposed to let them be in the incubator for 12-24 hours some day longer . I’m at work, they’ll be ok all alone in the incubator ? I took a day off for the first set, but I can’t take the whole week off . One was chirping like crazy other just hatched so was sleeping . I have a security camera on them, can kinda see them on it . Just worried they somehow hurt themselves running all over the place while I’m at work in the incubator . And the incubator is a little warmer than the brooder . Or will they go to sleep .. wake up .. go to sleep ect?
Sorry for the essay,

Thanks

Morning all,

So just wanted to get some more experienced Hatcher’s opinion on this.
This is my first time hatching , two of my quail hatched two days ago, they are in the brooder . So far so good . Two hatched this morning though , before I went to work.. I know supposed to let them be in the incubator for 12-24 hours some day longer . I’m at work, they’ll be ok all alone in the incubator ? I took a day off for the first set, but I can’t take the whole week off . One was chirping like crazy other just hatched so was sleeping . I have a security camera on them, can kinda see them on it . Just worried they somehow hurt themselves running all over the place while I’m at work in the incubator . And the incubator is a little warmer than the brooder . Or will they go to sleep .. wake up .. go to sleep ect?
Sorry for the essay,

Thanks
They should be fine in incubator until you get home to put them in brooder with other 2. I remove mine as soon as mostly dried, I like to get them to feed and water as soon as possible. But it takes a few hours or more for them to dry so you will be fine removing them when you get home from work. Don't know what incubator you are using but shouldn't be anything in there that should injure them. And yes they do sleep mostly the 1st day after hatch, hatching can be a lot of work for them may be better letting them rest in incubator while your at work getting there strength back before introducing them to 2 day old's. Enjoy your new hatchlings and GOOD LUCK.

They should be fine in incubator until you get home to put them in brooder with other 2. I remove mine as soon as mostly dried, I like to get them to feed and water as soon as possible. But it takes a few hours or more for them to dry so you will be fine removing them when you get home from work. Don't know what incubator you are using but shouldn't be anything in there that should injure them. And yes they do sleep mostly the 1st day after hatch, hatching can be a lot of work for them may be better letting them rest in incubator while your at work getting there strength back before introducing them to 2 day old's. Enjoy your new hatchlings and GOOD LUCK.
Ok thanks . I’ll move the two over when I’m home later today.
I would have waited an hour or two to take them out , but I read so much about how it’s not a good idea it may mess with the other chicks who have pipped or about to , and shrink wrap them.

Ok thanks . I’ll move the two over when I’m home later today.
I would have waited an hour or two to take them out , but I read so much about how it’s not a good idea it may mess with the other chicks who have pipped or about to , and shrink wrap them.
As long as you move quickly and not have incubator open for long periods of time I have never had problems removing hatchlings. If your incubator looses humidity quickly and doesn't recover very fast you can put a damp paper towel in when you remove hatchlings to help it recover. How many eggs do you still have in incubator? And how many where pipped? If they are not externally pipped you don't have to worry about shrink wrapping. Sounds like you may have more than just 2 to remove when you get home if there where others pipped.

Back
Top Bottom