Incubator help!

ashleymarie82

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2016
Im in the market for an incubator...so give it to me straight, what's the best kind? Cabinet vs table top? Forced air? Digital? I fee clueless stepping into this with so many options and I really don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't perform well. I want it to be as simple as possible on my part (i.e. with auto egg turners and anything else that will make my job easier!)

Thanks y'all!

Depends on your goals and the amount of money you want to invest.

Things to consider - Do you need a cabinet incubator that can handle 100+ eggs, or will 20 be enough, or 50? Do you need a turner or can you turn eggs manually.

I've tried a cheap Chinese plastic incubator, I also use a styrofoam Farm Innovators, and have had some success with them, but my favorites and the ones that I trust the most are my Brinsea Octagon 20's. I have an Eco and an Advance EX. The advance has the humidity pump with it. Both have automatic turners. They hold temperature and humidity wonderfully, and I've had great hatch rates with them.

I prefer forced air, and no matter whether you pick digital or analog, you will want to use independently tested/calibrated thermometers and hygrometers to verify the unit. Never trust one out of the box to be accurate. It might be, but don't depend on it!

Last edited:
Great advice! Thanks! I'm wanting to stay under $300 and I think 50ish egg capacity would be plenty (chicken only).

I found my first Brinsea (the Advance model) on Craigslist, used once by a school teacher in a classroom. The other I found on facebook, used, but in great condition. They don't come along often, but when they do, its someone who has stopped incubating all together, or moved to something bigger. Never because they don't work! The Advance probably runs a little over $300 with all the bells and whistles, brand-new, but the Eco can definitely be purchased for under $300.

I hatch bantams mostly, and can get 35+ in mine, but to get 50, Brinsea makes an Octagon 40, that may hold 50, but its pretty pricey. May as well get a cabinet, which I also see on CL and FB at times. The stryo table models usually hold 48ish, with turners, more if you lay the eggs down and hand-turn.

I found my first Brinsea (the Advance model) on Craigslist, used once by a school teacher in a classroom.  The other I found on facebook, used, but in great condition.  They don't come along often, but when they do, its someone who has stopped incubating all together, or moved to something bigger.  Never because they don't work!  The Advance probably runs a little over $300 with all the bells and whistles, brand-new, but the Eco can definitely be purchased for under $300.

I hatch bantams mostly, and can get 35+ in mine, but to get 50, Brinsea makes an Octagon 40, that may hold 50, but its pretty pricey.  May as well get a cabinet, which I also see on CL and FB at times.  The stryo table models usually hold 48ish, with turners, more if you lay the eggs down and hand-turn.

From what I've read the styrofoam tabletops don't have a high hatch rate. Now if that's the operator, the eggs or the equipment, idk.

I did look at the Brinsea. The 40 is definitely more than I want to spend! I'm not in a huge hurry so I will probably keep an eye out on Craigslist and local poultry pages on fb. Thanks so much for your input!

Back
Top Bottom