Incubator help?

AppleCrisp

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Helllo. I have been thinking chickens for a while now, talking to my parents about it and such. But just recently thought about hatching my own in incubator.
big_smile.png
I was kinda thinking it could be a project for my dad and I as he grew up on farm, had a career in agriculutre, and just loves that stuff as much as me.
big_smile.png
I've been looking at them online but I have no clue where to get one or what kind to get. I'm looking for a good quality affordable incubator and am open to suggestions. I was looking at hovabators... I'm not looking for huge incubator just a smaller one.
I am only looking to do a few eggs hoping to have 3-5 chicks but from what I understand often eggs don't hatch so what would be a good number to incubate to get that many?
Thanks
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi,

You should incubate around 10 eggs. This will give you atleast 5 chicks even at a 50% hatch.

I would say go with hova-bator. Because once you get some chickens, your gonna get chicken fever! And want to hatch all the time.

They are wonderful incubators.

Stay away from LG's (little giants) they can't hold temp.

Best of Luck
smile.png

Thanks. Do you know where I could find a hova-bator online for a good price?
And would you know there manufactur? Thanks

Thanks. I was looking at them, would the 1602N Thermal Air Hova-Bator model work?
Also, does anyone know any hatcheries in Canada that ship silkie eggs?

I was thinking of just hand turning them because between me and my dad one of is well be able to turn ten eggs three times a day. Umm not to sound stupid.... but is there a certain way to turn them?
hmm.png

Quote:
Sorry I would have to disagree with this. I have an LG, and the problem with mine is not the temp, but the humidity. But since I have added a small PC fan to mine, it holds both temp and humidity beautifully.
I don't have any experience with the hovabator, but it looks basically the same as the LG, so I don't see how it can be that much better.
Check out this link and make your own decision. There are a lot of varying opinions on this forum. And that is all they are, OPINIONS. Many of us use the LG, with no problems.
http://www.poultrysupply.com/incubate.html
As far as how many eggs, it would depend on how you get them, and the quality of the birds. My first hatch I had 13 eggs set, and 12 hatched. And that was in a LG with no fan...
If you have the time and patience, you wouldn't need a turner, but remember the eggs need to be turned at least twice a day, but more like 3-5 times is ideal. Any incubator with a fan, either factory or added like mine, should be able to hold temps. If you get one that doesn't, I would return it for a different one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom