incubator ideas! post your ideas for home made incubators, whether they work or not~

Ok, this looks like the same thing as the STC-1000 only it is in Fahrenheit instead of celcius.

http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Temp...perature+Controller+Thermostat#productDetails
it does look a lot like it

you need to make sure this is not a delay function in the heat side. I have had one of those and it wont kick in for 10 seconds.

if you can cope with the concepts that 37.5 is the magic number then the scale is moot

perhaps you can post a question on amazon and ask about protection delay cycles

Well, I tried the box and used a good design from Gimmie Birdies. That thing worked great!!! I got a cooler-bator that a friend of mine made a long time ago. I've lost more eggs in that thing!!! >:-(
I'm going to use Gimmie's design (she's really smart!!!) and see how far I get with some eggs from Chocolate, my nicest Comet hen.
love.gif
I was leaving her eggs in the nesting box b/c I thought she might go broody, but I found some major thing had happened in my coop this afternoon. There was nesting material stroon around, one of the eggs appeared to have been launched somehow and ended up hitting a wall and broke some (the white was leaking out some, it wasn't completely smashed). Anyway, I collected all the eggs in the coop (which I've been leaving one in there for them to remember where I want them to lay, and/or so they don't realize that I'm stealing them on a daily basis). Well, I guess that's enough of my flock dynamics.

Point being, I'm going to see what I can do to alter the cooler-bator I have to be more like Gimmie's!!! =D
Please tell me that it's really worth trying b/c I've been really getting discouraged b/c of the chicks that I've killed (I have a running total of ten that have developed and not hatched). I'm not happy about this!!!
hit.gif

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet as I haven't had time to read the entire thread.

Cheap water heater thermostats work off of a small bi-metal disk that is dish shaped - but very shallow. Heated to a predetermined point, they will "snap over" to having the opposite shape and thus trigger on the thermostat.

To make the thermostat much more sensitive, instead of drilling holes in it, mount it on a thin sheet of aluminum that is at least one inch longer on all sides than the thermostat is. Two inches would probably be better. This will cause the heat reaching the thermostat to be sensed much quicker due to the much larger heat absorbing area. The bigger the better to a point. Also, this plate won't have any electric charge and should be safe to touch. The plate would also be a good place to attach an electrical grounding point.

Using some kind of standoff to hold the plate out from the wall will allow air to circulate behind it and increase the effectiveness even more. Some washers between the plate and the wall will do.

Also, putting a thin coat of silicon grease on the back of the thermostat before bolting it to the aluminum sheet will also improve heat conduction and thus make it even more sensitive.

Let us know if this helps!

It's been a while since I posted on here but I'm gearing up to build a new incubator... should have done it already but... what can I say?

I have a cabinet that I am fitting my Coleman 150 X-Treme cooler into. I had to add a 1x4 to the back for depth. It will be lightly sanded and stained to hopefully match the rest of the cabinet.

10947383_431751263656041_8032988213920711942_o.jpg

1509844_431751306989370_2513397586939656152_n.jpg

Here I have it sitting in the cabinet. The shelves were removed and placed in new spots to facilitate. The space underneath will be for supplies.

10945626_431751353656032_7372567372753320079_n.jpg

My plan is to put two egg turner trays inside on their own shelves in the top slots. That will give me a capacity of 84 eggs (which is plenty). The very top slot will be for a shelf that will hold the water pan. The slots down below will be for two big bins to put the eggs into to hatch. Possibly another one will fit on the very bottom.

This is the unit I have for heating and air circulation.

incukit_mini.jpg

IncuKit MINI for Desktop Incubators | Thermostat, Fan & Heater

I'm afraid this little thing might not be enough. So, I may have to get a second one. That would be beneficial in the event that one failed anyway... OR... perhaps a light bulb would be sufficient to add heat and a small computer fan (I might have two) to blow past the light bulb at the top of an air vent.

I am wondering about ventilation. I saw Sally's big incubator she made using this same cooler and I'm wondering if I need to do the same air recirculation outfit on the back. I'm thinking I could use a pvc gutter made to fit and I could add insulation on the outside of it to maintain temps. I might not have room on the back side of the cooler so perhaps I can work it so that it can go on one side toward the back. Since I'm using it for a hatcher as well, I know I will want a filter at the air intake on the bottom so that no dust gets sprinkled onto the eggs from the air coming in above. Would it be advisable to have a filter in between the upper incubation portion and the bottom hatching portion or will a filter on the air intake be enough? I will also drill ventilation holes along the side. Would I need ventilation holes at the very bottom for the carbon dioxide given off from the eggs?

I know its been a really long time since anybody was active on this thread and I really hope y'all are still around and can help me out.

I am sorry Tea Chick my cooler bators seem to not work so good in the winter, but this big one I made has been keeping great heat the eggs inside show much movement, and even though it is big I have a 15 w bulb heating this whole thing. this was the best yet. if it works out for my next 6 I will send you the measurements. best part, the heat is constant and I can sleep at night.

I am sorry Tea Chick my cooler bators seem to not work so good in the winter, but this big one I made has been keeping great heat the eggs inside show much movement, and even though it is big I have a 15 w bulb heating this whole thing. this was the best yet. if it works out for my next 6 I will send you the measurements. best part, the heat is constant and I can sleep at night.

I have two large boxes I'm debating between right now.
Thank you for all the great info and design sharing!!!! =) You're one in a million, Hon!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom