incubator ideas! post your ideas for home made incubators, whether they work or not~

I'm thinking about turning an old dishwasher into a cabinet incubator. Im thinking something on the line of a fan under a heating rod and cut the water pipeing and putting shelves in. What do yoy think should I attempt and let you know? Do you think its worth trying? Please let me know!.!.

I just bought another incubator but I still have plans to have an arduino hooked up to a PC power supply with fan and a 12volt heater from harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-rubberized-heater-with-fan-96144.html

[/quote]

I know this is an old post. Was wondering if you used this and how it worked out.... Has anyone else used it?
http://t.harborfreight.com/12v-auto-heater-defroster-with-light-60525.html

Where is your thermostat placed inside the bator? Would placement of a digital thermostat be the same as wafer?

So, heres what I did. Worked great and I would still use it if my wife didn't spend a lot on one for me for Christmas. I had a salvaged cooler, big one. I got a water heater thermostat and a computer cooling fan. Also an old lamp and a blue wiring box. Everything was scrap except the water heater thermostat (~$11 at Lowes) and the wiring box (29 cents). I cut out one side of the wiring box and mounted the fan to it. I drilled about 4-6 holes on the opposite side. I installed the thermostat inside. The idea was to create a constant flow of air across the thermostat. I took the wire from the lamp and wired up the lamp so that the lamp as controlled by the thermostat now. It works like a switch. Make sure when you install the thermostat you have the adjustment accessible, you will need it. I screwed the thermostat to the interior wall of the cooler near one corner about halfway up. I put the lamp on the opposite side, below the thermostat. They are both on the same end of the cooler. My mistake was I had to take it all apart now so I could run the wire in. I ran the wire through the drain hole, worked nice. Suggestion: Do this first. I used an old wall wart to power the computer cooling fan. I found one rated to provide the same voltage as the fan needed, about 12vdc. Your mileage may vary.Then I tested it. It took me about 3-4 days to find the sweet spot for the temperature. Oh, I had an old outdoor digital thermometer I used to keep track of the temp and humidity inside. Sorry, I found another at Walmart the other day for $9. I may use it later if I want to hatch more eggs than I can right now. For a turner, i just put my eggs in cartons and lifted one end up onto a block of wood a few times a day. I put 24 eggs in at once in that thing. I got a 75% hatch rate a few times, so I though it worked well. I also cut out a hole in the top and use the glass from a $1 picture frame. I had a problem, though. water would gather in the now open chamber in the lid and gush out when I opened the lid. My next version will take some spray insulation and fill the void. They make some that is waterproof, i think. For humidity, I added a quart mason jar filled with water. I put it near the lamp and rolled up a paper towel and hung it over the side. The paper towel would wick the water out and the lamp would evaporate it fairly easily. I could hold 70%-80% humidity pretty well.

Well, I think I FINALLY got it! I ended up changing a couple of things and spending more money than I actually wanted to but I think I got it. I'll let it run through the night and then tomorrow if its still steady, I'll get it loaded into the cabinet and load up some eggs from my mixed breed flock.

And pictures too.

Back
Top Bottom