Incubator in basement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grindlefamily, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Since weather here has been hot to cold and everything in between I was thinking of running by incubator in the basement where the temp is steady. Well, I set it up today to give it a couple days to settle in (yeah - I want to be sure it is ready to go) and I put a little water in, and my humidity is at over 70%. Now, I am thinking that I will empty out the water - but since it is in the basement the humidity could still run a bit higher than if it were upstairs in the very unstable temps. ??

Any good hints appreciated!

Louella

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I keep my incubator in my closet..lol

i've tried everywhere in the house and the closet seems to do it..the temp stays steady and the humidity [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
  4. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I do the same as connie. I did my first hatch in the basement and just set the dehumidifier to a lower setting. Seemed to work without a problem. Good luck.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got mine in the basement. Don't have any trouble keeping temps steady and usually don't have to add much water.

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    LOL already have a dehumidifier running, I figure I just need to remove the water [​IMG] should have waited to add it.

Louella

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Try it without adding any water and see what your readings are. Then add a little at a time paying attention to how much you add so you will know when you have to refill the water, until the humidity level is right.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I set mine up in the basement too and have been really pleased at how consistent the temp is. Hasn't budged off 100 for 4 days! I have a dehumidifier running constantly down there, so I only added water to one trough. It's remained steady at 47% until this morning. Down to 45% so I'll add a little today. Want to keep it 45-50%, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by