Incubator Leak

Discussion in 'Quail' started by abot87, Aug 11, 2016.

1. abot87

abot87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there fellow Quailers.

I need some advice urgently [​IMG]

I recently purchased a large incubator (884 quail eggs), a bit extreme for a beginner, but here we are.

Since this morning there have been fluctuations in humidity. It has dropped from 55% to 37%.
    Upon further investigation I noticed light, moisture and heat escaping at the corners of the viewing glass as well as on the corners of the gasket seal on the door.

What can I use to seal the leaks without fear of contaminating my eggs that are in the incubator currently?

Stress levels are running high and fear of losing my eggs even higher [​IMG]

Your wisdom will not go wasted!
    ABOT

2. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    If you are incubating right now I would use duct tape until the chicks hatch. Once the incubator is empty you can use a silicon sealant around the glass/corners.

3. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Geniash beat me to it.

4. abot87

abot87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for the advice.

I managed to tape up all the leaks i could find. But only once i taped the edges of the view glass did the himidity manage to stay in the 50% ranges.

I think adding a 2nd mist maker could solve the remainder of the problem.

Which is that everytime the temp rises the extractor fan kicks in and sucks all the humidity out. It takes a while to recover but does so within an hour.

This forced air incubator came with a mist maker and not a water heatining element. I think adding the 2nd mister should enable the humidity the recover at twice the rate.

Im using a gravity assisted water feed from a bucket into the water tray. So far its doing the trick as the nursery doesnt have running water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by