Incubator Leaking any quick fix ideas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RHewitt, Jan 28, 2010.

1. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a LG incubator with a styrofoam base. The built in trays for holding water appear to be allowing water to seep out underneath. I am having to fill tthey trays each morning and night and it has never done this before. Any ideas on what I could use to seal the styrofoam that will not harm the eggs. I have eggs in there now so it would need to be a quick fix. I could lift the turner out fix it hopefully and set the turner and eggs back in. Help please!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Duct tape

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Take out the turner and screen and lay some plastic wrap in the wells to hold the water. Don't cover up the 4 small vent holes in the corners of the base.
    db

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I would get a level and make sure that the bator is level. It shouldn't be leaking out if you aren't overfilling it.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If it's an LG bator I would throw it away right now and be happy I did, Sorry but just not a fan of Chinese incubators. No amount of duck tape will fix the problems with an LG. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

AL

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

triple foam expandable foam

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

since it's water, i think you can patch the hole using parafin(candle liquid).

make sure the liquid not too hot or the leak will be worse.

be careful. that's only what i'm thinking can be done with that leak. [​IMG]

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    What I did as a quick fix was put a heavy towel under the incubator and just put a wet sponge in there. Other than that occasion, the only times I have had an LG leak was if I happened to overfill the water trays.(I ended up just getting a different bottom for that one.)

9. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys. I will try the plastic wrap with a little duck tape to hold it in place and as soon as I am able I will replace the LG with a better bator.

10. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I kinda wonder if mine has the same issue. Its going thru water like unbelievable this hatch. Its aweful!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by