Incubator lid hit hatching egg

FunnyfarmMidwest

Call Duck obsessed! 🦆💕
Mar 14, 2020
In all my years of hatching this has never happened to me. :hit

I accidentally dropped the incubator lid and it hit one of my eggs. Set may 10. This egg came from my black east indie hen that was killed by a mink. I feel absolutely terrible. Is there anything I can do for it? It's still moving but it's bleeding. The Crack definitely broke through the membrane. I'm going to go ahead and move it to my lockdown bator. I thought about candle wax but I worry that it is too big of a Crack. Is this a lost cause?
IMG_20230529_133400_01.jpg

How long do calls usually take? I'm a big fan of nail polish. I've used it to patch some really bad stuff and it does an amazing job. I have a severely dented egg going right now, badly dented on day one, and I globbed the nail polish on. It's at two weeks now and still doing great. I use the piggy paint brand, and a neutral non-glittery color. It's what we had on hand years ago when I first tried it and it's worked so well I've just stuck with it.
The blood is concerning though. Are there any air bubbles visible in the egg? Or more blood sloshing in the egg? If it only maybe punctured the membrane in a couple spots there's a chance, but it the membrane tore the whole way I don't think it would make it. It would be 19 days if my math is correct so it would probably only have a week or so left max?

How long do calls usually take? I'm a big fan of nail polish. I've used it to patch some really bad stuff and it does an amazing job. I have a severely dented egg going right now, badly dented on day one, and I globbed the nail polish on. It's at two weeks now and still doing great. I use the piggy paint brand, and a neutral non-glittery color. It's what we had on hand years ago when I first tried it and it's worked so well I've just stuck with it.
The blood is concerning though. Are there any air bubbles visible in the egg? Or more blood sloshing in the egg? If it only maybe punctured the membrane in a couple spots there's a chance, but it the membrane tore the whole way I don't think it would make it. It would be 19 days if my math is correct so it would probably only have a week or so left max?
Yes I was concerned about the blood too. No visible air bubbles or blood moving around in the egg. It is on day 19. My indies usually take anywhere from 26-28 days.

if the crack is only in the aircell no blood not a problem. And if it happens after day 10. A crack on day 0, I would not even set. (Chicken eggs)

I had a hen sitting on 2 duck eggs, she cracked both on day 8. One egg was too damaged. I nail polished the other. I had staggered hatches in incubators, as the other eggs went into lock down, I put the duck egg in with lockdown eggs. I also kept moving it to the next lockdown incubator until it hatched.

Back
Top Bottom