1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Incubator liner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SGM, Dec 18, 2008.

1. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Is there such a thing as an incubator liner? So you could remove it after a hatch, give the bator a good once over and then it be ready to be set-up again?

I have two, a Genesis 1588 for incubating and a homemade styrofoam one. The homemade one is so hard to clean not to mention the light bulb and thermostat are not placed in good places for cleaning so I can't just hose the thing out. I have to be careful when I clean. Which means a headache. Plus cleaning the bator means scrubbing and the styrofoam chips off because of it.

I was wondering if there's a way to line the base so that when you are done hatching you can just peel it away and toss it and clean the bator out. No major stickies to the styrofoam.

I'm already thinking about buying another hovabator in the spring for easier cleaning.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Didn't your 1588 come with a bottom plastic liner? All mine did.

3. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Yeah, it did but I don't usually hatch in it. I hatch in the homemade one.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm not sure about liners for them and you would still need to clean and sanitize. But, have your tried using the non-slip pads or a towel on the bottom to catch the worst of the mess. That would make it easier to clean.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    You're supposed to clean them...[​IMG]...kidding...make a kid do it and then yell at them for doing a bad job...[​IMG]...kidding...how about that shelf paper liner stuff

6. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    No I haven't used shelf liner, but it might be a good option. Thanks!

What I'm saying is that they poo and it dries like rocks to the styrofoam. So I end up absolutely scrubbing the styrofoam away to remove the poo spots. I know you have to clean them. There's still germs and contaminants in there. I would still wash it out after each use. I am just looking for a remedy to the scrubbing the styrofoam away problem. If I keep scrubbing it like that then its going to put holes in the floor.

7. Hi! You could try to line it with wax paper, parchment paper, plastic wrap, or maybe aluminium foil for easy (er) clean-up after hatch.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    tin foil probably..

I have thought of usig that saran wrap that seals itself to the container by pressing on it??

or cut the bottom out of a tote tub

1 person likes this.
  9. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Great ideas everyone! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by