Incubator losing temperature

wortham

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 4, 2013
Brighton, Tennessee
HELP! I have a little giant incubator. I added a computer fan and all has been well. And now at Day 16 my temp began to drop slowly. The thermostat knob is all the way up and the temp has gone from 99.5 to now 97.3 and I can't get it to go up because there is no more adjustment on the knob. The indicator light cycles in and off like it's maintaining temp. But it will not increase. Checked with a different thermometer too. Is there a way to reset the thermostat? Please help

Last edited:
HELP! I have a little giant incubator. I added a computer fan and all has been well. And now at Day 16 my temp began to drop slowly. The thermostat knob is all the way up and the temp has gone from 99.5 to now 97.3 and I can't get it to go up because there is no more adjustment on the knob. The indicator light cycles in and off like it's maintaining temp. But it will not increase. Checked with a different thermometer too. Is there a way to reset the thermostat? Please help
I don't know what model incubator that you have but if the incubator has a wafer thermostat, it sounds like the wafer is going bad.

It's a 9200. Doesn't have the wafer. Looks all electronic
In that case, it is probably the electronic thermostat that is failing. The other possibility is if the room temperature is lower than it was previously, the heater may not be able to make up for the lower ambient temperature. The manual does have a small trouble shooting section and offers several suggestions.

Little Giant Incubator manual.

Incubator Warehouse does sell a replacement thermostat which would indicate that the thermostats do fail from time to time.

Today it's mid 60s and very windy.i guess it could be the draft. Also rainy off and on. Worst conditions for steady temps but I moved it to a bathroom closet with a small heater going nearby to raise the ambient temp. It is slowly gaining temp now. But the light still goes off sometimes like it's up to temperature.

I don't know of another incubator I could borrow. Still watching to see if temp continues to rise. Checked to see if it was sealed good. Seems to be. It was near a window and now in the closet in a warmer room. I've heard that even barometric pressure and certain lights can throw off these thermostats. I guess that could be too. It's borderline stormy here today.

Here is an update. By moving the incubator to a warmer no draft area I got the temperature up to 98.3-99.1 locked it down and hoping for the best. Wednesday(set)/Thursday(up to temp)is hatch day. Hoping these temps will hold til hatch. Even in a room that I am keeping at 80* that is the highest I get temp. Time to build my own cabinet! Thanks for the help y'all. I'll post results of my hatch. It STINKS getting to day16 and then have problems!

Back
Top Bottom