Incubator Newbie

rissachar

Hatching
Jun 27, 2020
Hey everyone!
I have had ducks for over a year now, and have hatched some babies just by letting mama duck do the work/sitting on the nest... but one of my best layers isn’t a good nester, and I am looking to get an incubator. I have never in my life used an incubator, and I am a little intimidated!😆 I have seen a few “good deals” on eBay, but they have no reviews and no brand name to look up reviews, so it seems a little sketchy.

I am a self-supporting college student and obviously don’t have a lot of money to spare, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a safe and good incubator, that won’t hurt my wallet too much? I know that this isn’t really a product to skimp and go cheap on, but I also want to be money conscious. I appreciate any input and advice, thank you so much!

Please don't feel intimidated. It is what it is. There are so many different incubators out there. You obviously don't need a lot of capacity.
I've gone from Little Giant incubators which I definitely wouldn't recommend to a big DIY combination incubator/hatcher combo to three used Sportsmen.
Others will chime in with their choices for less expensive options and I've heard Nature Right and Brinsea are good options.
There are a lot of Chinese incubators as well that are automatic but not always reliable.

Also remember to buy (and calibrate) additional thermometer(s) and hygrometer(s) and get to know your incubator before adding the eggs.

I bought a cheap chinese one and compared it with a bulb thermometer and it seemed to match. Then I bought more thermometers and it turns out the incubator has a major cold spot! My incubator has a 1.1-1.4C (2-2.5F) difference inside it :( When I put it in the styrofoam it came with (as recommended by the manual) the difference increased to 2.1-2.4C (3.8-4.3F) :he My solution is to skip the styrofoam, tuck it behind some chairs in the living room, and cover the top of the lid (but not the sides) with a sweater, so now the difference is only (?) 0.5C (0.9F). I fear most of the embyros have died already though :hit

Back
Top Bottom