Incubator set up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenpatch, Dec 2, 2009.

1. greenpatch

greenpatch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2009
    Greenfield
    I`m new to this group and chickens. So my questions are. First I know 99.5 is the temp but what is ideal for humidity and what is lockdown? Thank You Chris

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Welcome Chris, and a quick warning. Incubating and hatching eggs can be extremely addictive! You are correct with the 99.5 temp if you are talking about a circulated air incubator ie. one with a fan. In a still air the temp is kept at about 101.5 measured at the top of the eggs. You will get lots of different answers about humidity, but 50% during incubation and 65% for hatching will get you in the ballpark. Lockdown is a term used to describe the last three days of the process. On day 18 you bring the humidity up for hatching and then close the bator and leave it alone. No opening it, no fiddling around, duct tape yourself to a chair and just wait. That's lockdown!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Might I suggest these two sites for further study. I think they will help.

Texas A&M Incubation site
    http://gallus.tamu.edu/Extension publications/b6092.pdf

Mississippi State – Hatching Quality Chicks
    http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/hatching_chicks.pdf

Each incubator has its own personality. I'd suggest trying a few cheaper eggs to start off with, until you get some practice. Also, I'd suggest calibrating the thermometer and hygrometer to make sure yours are giving you good information. And read the instructions that come with the incubator.

Good luck. Incubating can be frustrating but also rewarding.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Humidity is the question there is no strait answer to. Lock-down is a relatively new term that has popped up on this website. New but accurate term for the last 3 days. In those 3 days the humidity is pretty well standard at 65%. The first 19 days is where it gets complicated. Ive seen people use numbers anywhere between 15% all the way up to 60%. Some have good results at one number an other will have bad results. You have to find what works for you. I would advise starting around 40%. Here read this. It tries to explain what is going on.

5. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:Thats probably the simplest and shortest answer I've seen yet!!! Good job!!!

Just keep in mind that you will find that everyone has a different opinion on the humidity subject. The best thing to do is to try things out and see what works best for you. If you are trying out a new method, don't do it on expensive eggs!!! Read up as much as you can and know that you will be a little overwhelmed and confused with all the different opinions.

Good luck!!!!

Edit: Forgot to say...Hi Chris...Welcome [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by