Incubator spiked to 104.8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msitework, Aug 15, 2008.

1. msitework

msitework Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    I have 40 guinea eggs & 60 qual eggs in the incubator and the ac in my house went out today, when I got home the temp was at 104.8. I opened the top to cool it down, is it to late. There close to hatching, is this going to kill them?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the highest temp is 104.8 you should be fine. Candle them in a few days and look for movement.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    as long as it was not high to long they should be ok i had some of mine do that and some hatched

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'd have worried too, but the more you think about it 104 is miserably hot, however it's not like its hot enough to really cook anything, so I thnk they'll be fine too though I agree if that was me i'd be like OMG did i just kill them all!?!?!

5. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    My bator did that, too. It is sitting on the kitchen table, and even though the house temp. stays about 74 degrees, I found mine like that when the afternoon sun was shining on the bator. I have babies coming out my ears today, (i'm definitely not complaining), so I would guess that they would be okay.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy hatching!

6. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    my bator has went to 99 and up to 101 i keep trying to keep temp at 100 but its kinda hard here. I always candle them and i have been seeing movement in 9 eggs out of 12 so im just keeping a eye on mine.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I know someone lost nearly a whole hatch to a spike like that but I don't know how long it reached 104F. All you can do is candle in a few days and try to watch the temp closer. I found despite the fact I keep my house set on a constant 78F I have to open my incubator around 4-5pm in the summer to vent the heat or it will pass 103.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by