Incubator Started to Malfunction on Hatch Day!

Red Frog

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
Hey guys, hoping to find an emergency answer here. My husband and I got a new incubator (9300 Little Giant) in which we installed a fan. We're on hatch day today, and suddenly our incubator is crapping out! There was too much moisture- has anyone dealt with that in the 9300? The humidity stayed between 65-70%, but too much condensation. We think the controls got moisture in them. However, the incubator now won't get above 94 degrees. What do you guys think? Think my guys will be ok. We bought another incubator in the hopes to sell it, but we cracked it open and started it up, thinking we might have to transfer. We on,y have had one pip, but several wiggles, so things will progress soon!

Hey guys, hoping to find an emergency answer here. My husband and I got a new incubator (9300 Little Giant) in which we installed a fan. We're on hatch day today, and suddenly our incubator is crapping out! There was too much moisture- has anyone dealt with that in the 9300? The humidity stayed between 65-70%, but too much condensation. We think the controls got moisture in them. However, the incubator now won't get above 94 degrees. What do you guys think? Think my guys will be ok. We bought another incubator in the hopes to sell it, but we cracked it open and started it up, thinking we might have to transfer. We on,y have had one pip, but several wiggles, so things will progress soon!
The 9300 has that probe that hangs down, yes? Has that been wiggled out of it's position? I know that has been the cause of temp issues for many people. Humidity does have it's own effect on temps as well. I would question the accuracy of the hygrometer first as usually you see condensation at higher percentages. I would start with lowering the humidity a bit (condensation is a sign you have more than enough) and seeing if that will even out the temps. And make sure your probe is secure.

If you could get the the one up to temp and humidity and have it maintain for a couple hours do that and transfer.
Another option is use a heating pad placed on top of the old incubator with a towel placed on top to hold in the heat. not perfect but works in a pinch. just monitor temps closely.

We have a second hydrometer in the incubator and they're both reading very close to one another. The humidity is at 65%right now, and steady, but the temp will not get above 95 due to malfunction. Does anyone know if 95 degrees is going to be ok for them to hatch?

We have a second hydrometer in the incubator and they're both reading very close to one another. The humidity is at 65%right now, and steady, but the temp will not get above 95 due to malfunction. Does anyone know if 95 degrees is going to be ok for them to hatch?
it is often recommended to drop temps 1 degree and raise humidity at hatching time. so saying that you will only be a couple degrees from optimum temp. Not sure if 95 will cut it but personally don't think it will be all that bad. (might be wrong there). do you have a heat pad to place on top of the bator?

Hatching can last 12-18 hours. I might think of taking the bator into a steamy room (bathroom with shower running) and try transferring them. I would get the other bator up and running at the correct temp first though. Being low for a short time will probably be okay but I am not sure that I would want to risk it for the rest of the hatch.

With that 9300 what I would be more worried about is a sudden temperature spike if it tries to correct itself. I would keep an eye on it. 95 and they might make it. 105 would be a problem

I wouldn't trust it if it's really a malfunction, and I wouldn't be comfotable with temps under 98. But that's me.

Thanks everyone. Temp probe is working again, although had to open up the hatcher very quickly, just to check it. Temp went back to 99.5, with 65% humidity. We'll see what happens. There's still a discrepancy in the two hydrometers, though. Keeping an eye everything. Not our first time in the rodeo, but was hoping to have a better hatch than last time.

Back
Top Bottom