Incubator Surprise..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, May 10, 2011.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I breed Indian Runners in the Welsh Harlequin colour..and am working on breeding Cinnamons- but I also have a few that I keep for experimental colour breeding. I have three dominant drakes- well that was until around a month ago..... I have just had a great surprise when I saw some odd feathers sticking out of a half unzipped egg.

Here in Australia its past midnight..but no way was I going to sleep until I saw this one hatched. I know the mother was a Harlequin - as they are the only ones old enough to lay at the moment... But the question I now have..is who the daddy of this little guy is. Hatched two days early...I hope that the other eggs get a wriggle on so I can see what other surprises may hatch as well.

[​IMG]

I cant wait for it to fluff up...it such a gorgeous colour. I am tipping that a young blue trout drake may be the father - as he is the oldest I have. I love my Harlequins but it sure is nice to have a different colour hatching for a change. I guess I will have to separate the breeders out now if I want to hatch any for myself... but then again... a few more surprises like this wouldnt be bad at all.

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Aww beautiful!

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Is Mr Mullet old enough to have babies yet heheheh [​IMG]

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    That really is a beautiful little duck. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Congratulations! I'm waiting to see how the others look.

5. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I am looking on line for a Blue Trout drake, any pictures? Curious to see.

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you google it im sure you will find one.

7. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Quote:If you google it im sure you will find one.

Well, I did that before posting. Thinking that I couldn't be that big of an idiot, I googled again. Guess I am an idiot. I googled again and found what I was looking for the second time around. [​IMG] The hen's coloring looks a little fishy to me. [​IMG]

http://snyderswaterfowl.webs.com/ducks 2 023.jpg

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I will get a pic tonight... I have to rush off to work now. I do have some of him somewhere already..but will make sure I have a good one since he is all grown and looking good in his new colours. Just remember though...colour names can vary a little between Australia and the USA -

Another has started to unzip this morning...I so wish i could set up a camera so I can watch from work...This is going to be such a long day waiting to come home and see what else may hatch.

9. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    oh gorgeous

10. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Hope you have some more lovely surprises when you get home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by