Incubator switched off

Egg king

Songster
Mar 13, 2021
South Africa
Hi
My incubator light that produces heat switched off and the last time i went to it may have been around twenty hours ago
My question is if it is off from then will my chicks be dead
It is day 8 for some eggs and day 6 for some

Do you have a thermometer in the incubator, to know what the temperature is?

Most incubators switch the heat on for a while and off for a while, changing back and forth to keep the temperature right. So it might be working properly.

But things can go wrong with incubators, and the heat quits working. Yes, that would be bad for the eggs.

20 hours without heat might kill the eggs, but it might not. It depends on how cold the eggs actually got, and how long they were cold. That partly depends on the temperature of the room the incubator is in (if the room is hot, the incubator might stay warm enough for quite a long time; if the room is cold, the incubator will get cold much faster.)

Eggs are also a bit unpredictable. Sometimes they die really easily, and sometimes they survive things that seem really bad.

So I would check the temperature inside the incubator. If there is a problem, try to fix it. And after a few days, try candling the eggs to see whether they still seem to be growing or not. (Candling: take the egg into a dark room, and shine a bright light through it. Do an egg that has not been incubated first, then check the ones you are incubating. If they are growing properly, they should have dark areas of growing chick inside, that look obviously different than the one that was not incubated.)

The temperature was 20 degrees Celsius and my incubator does switch on and off to control the heat
The problem was the bulb its broken
I did candle it an last the eggs had veins and now its gone a bit darker where i can not see veins

The temperature was 20 degrees Celsius and my incubator does switch on and off to control the heat
The problem was the bulb its broken
I assume you already put in a new bulb.

With that temperature, the eggs might be fine, or they might not be. The air in the incubator cools more quickly, and the inside of the egg cools more slowly, so sometimes the embryos are just fine.
I did candle it an last the eggs had veins and now its gone a bit darker where i can not see veins

I would wait a few days, and then candle the eggs again.
If they have grown between now and then, they are still alive. But if they do not grow in the next few days, they are probably dead.

When I have candled eggs, at one point the veins are very obvious, but then the chick gets a bit bigger and I cannot see the veins anymore (but the chick still hatches just fine.) So going darker and having the veins not visible might be right.

I know that some other people can see veins at points I cannot, which I assume is caused by differences is in how bright of a light, how dark the eggshell is, and how good the person's eyes are. I don't know what to expect in your particular case.

Back
Top Bottom