Incubator? Talk me down...

I dont hatch chicks(yet) I started with getting some chicks from mypetchicken and they were great. it is an easy and not terribly expensive way to get started. Remember they are gonna grow and need a coop and run or free range and daily feeding watering egg colection ect. They are a commitment. make sure chickens are going to fit into your lifestyle. also if your child becomes attached you are gonna have them uo ten years or more if you retire after laying.

I have been trying SO hard to not reply to this thread, because I am the poster child for Hatchaholics Anonymous around here.

7 incubators, all Brinsea models.

41679_incubatortable.jpg

And more....
41679_batorsinbookcase.jpg

Brooders (currently) in the bathroom... With 16 chicks and 4 ducklings. All but 2 'bat ors full of eggs...

Yes,during late fall and winter.

Do what is best for you, but it's obvious you have been bitten, already.
There are worse addictions to have!
wee.gif

Some things to bear in mind:

Not all the chicks may live, whether ordered or hatched. Is your son okay with that?

If you hatch yourself, there is always a chance there will be a significant birth defect. Can you handle that? How about your son.
You can read through some threads to get an idea of what I mean.

Chickens can be a great 'circle of life' teaching tool. Some kids are too tender-hearted though.

A suggestion: Find out where the shows are in your area, and go to them. See the birds, see what is for sale there. Maybe there will be some young birds your son can handle and learn to take care of. Chicks are just so very fragile and high maintenance.... Especially during the winter.

Another suggestion: Look into d'Uccles. Although very small as chicks, they are very sweet birds when they mature. The hens love attention and the small size makes them easy to handle, care for, and cheap to feed. And they are incredble eye-candy birds, too.

If you get a Brinsea, I
love.gif
my Octagon 20.....

Wegotchickens,

I am completely infatuated with the d'uccles. I have been over on the d'uccles thread as well.

I know they are had to hatch, but they are one of the reason I am considering the incubator. I have seen the difference between good d'uccles and hatchery stock and I would just really prefer to start with decent birds that won't disappoint me.

My boy is very sensitive, but he has an oddly practical streak for his age. He's been asking a lot of questions about the fact that people eat chickens and other animals eat them, and what that means. So... We will see....

As for the winter. I am not doing anything now, but getting plans together for the coop to be built. I am definitely waiting for spring when I know the weather will be gentler on little peeps.

Quote:
You have more restraint than most of the people on this forum, me included.

I have 16 chicks in the basement as we speak
roll.png

Some I will sell at the Jan /Feb shows I know are coming up in GA.

Here is a link to the upcoming ABA poultry shows. Maybe there are some in your area you can take your son to. Finding a local breeder with good stock, and getting eggs that haven't been shipped, will greatly help your new venture be a success.

http://www.bantamclub.com/site/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=eventlist&Itemid=77

We were just at the Ohio Nationals. But we are not set up yet, so I mostly just wandered around. I am sorry I was not active here yet and so didn't get a chance to meet any of you in person.

The next show near us isn't until the KY fair in Aug. Which is getting pretty late in the year
hmm.png

Bummer!
Keep checking, though. More shows will be added.

Yes, it would've been nice to meet you at the OH Nationals!

Also, I wish I'd gotten the contact info of the woman I bought my white d'Uccles from. She was from the area, and would've been a good person for you to get in touch with. Sorry that I dropped that ball... For you and me, both!!

lol didnt read all the post but you should get silkie chicks or an adult female then you probly wont need an incubator only problem is silkie chicks cant be sexed especialy breeders cant tell till they crow or lay an egg

Back
Top Bottom