Incubator? Talk me down...

Quote:
Wow, you've got good chicken-math logic already
big_smile.png

Did you mean the Brinsea Mini Eco or the Octagon? Eco Minis are really fun because you can watch the pips really clearly, and they're easy to work.
There are a couple drawbacks you'd probably find with a Mini, though.
First, if you fill them, they're harder to hatch in because of the small space, so you might want to borrow a Hova-bator or Little Giant styrofoam 'bator from a chicken-friend for the hatch.
Secondly, with 5 rural acres, why start so small?
wink.png
It's so fun, you'll have to get more Ecos soon! No, really, do start small. Do. Do. Do!
wink.png

If you start out with silkies or bantam Polish crested, or Sultans, you'll very likely find great homes for the cockerels you hatch, anyway. People love poofs, in my experience. Unusual colors of a popular breed are great too.

My six-year-old is tiny, and even though the silkies in the flock were all hatched with her in mind, the smallest hens (Old English Game Bantams and Belgian Bearded D'Anvers) are the ones she carries around and plays with.
Her hands can grip them better.
Have fun!

My suggestion is to go to a show and to buy a pair or trio there,... much cheaper than an incubator + eggs+shipping when you aren't sure chickens will work for you. Where do you live?

Ultasol, I live *just* into Indiana, literally on State Line Rd. So basically we are outside Cincinnati. I just went to the Ohio Nationals last week. It was interesting to see everything going on. I prefer not to get grown birds because the kids are excited about raising the chicks. And by the time you buy the materials, build the coop, build the run, etc. I should hope we are already pretty committed. That is already a lot of time and money. Plus even if you get a pair and then want chicks, you aren't guaranteed the hen will go broody and you are back to buying an incubator anyhow.

Bantyshant, As or the mini eco.... Right now with the prices it seems silly to not pay the extra $20 and get the octagon.

Nekhebet, I am very lucky. A man that is handy is hard to find, and one that is handy and willing to indulge me. Well.... lets just say he is a special kind of guy.

See told you this was not the right place to get talked out of an incubator!!!
gig.gif
I have been the victim of and the sender of many enabling vibes! Funny how fast you get addicted! I got the Octagon Advance EX after reading a lot of threads on how well they work and fool proof they are (which is what I need!) I can't wait to try it out for the first time. Just been waiting for my girls to lay (they started a few weeks ago) and for the eggs to get out of the pullet egg size. Now I am going to wait until the New Years hatch! I think it will be really fun! I am going to "give" one of the chicks to DH and see if he gets as nutty about chickens as I have gotten
big_smile.png

It seems there is enough space for plenty of chicken. Just keep in mind you may have to deal with predator like rat, raccoon, dog, fox, etc...

Get one! Get local eggs and start small with 6 or 8. My daughter worked out a deal with a local breeder to buy hatching eggs in volume (turkey, turken, copper maran, silkies, and guineas) She turned by hand every single batch...and became very good at maintaining high hatch rates all summer. We had 3 brooders full at one time and 18 eggs in the incubator. She worked out another deal with a lady who has a large free range farm and bingo, she was making profit at 9 years old. We live in town and cant have a "coop" ...but we converted a dog house to a coop with a run and kept 2 as pets (shhh). She is going to set ducks in a few days and wants to start spring off with turkeys again. After the 1st egg hatches, its all over...but you will love every minute of it!

Wow.. I am an enabler... I run the 1588... It works great... all of them do.. ha ha... I retired my LG's to chick warmers and have a homemade bator named Matilda the electric green hen.

It's been in the 70s here the past couple days so I am furiously trying to get some last minute yard work in.

Then I am going to start listng some things up for sale and probably et me a Brinsea Eco. The price is just too good to pass up.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom