incubator temperature too low

pinksapphire

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2013
I borrowed an incubator and set chicken eggs nine days ago and quail eggs eight days ago, added water and set the temp to 37.8 degrees celsius (100F) but only today when I took the eggs out to candle realised that the eggs were not warm so using another thermometer realised that the temperature inside the incubator is only 29.4 degrees celsius (85F).
If I can correct the temperature in the incubator do you think there would be a chance of the eggs hatching? and if so should i count today as the first day of incubation?

Hi there. It really depends on the age of the eggs befire you set them. Setting them after they're 7 to 10 days old diminishes the chances of hatching.

Did the candling show any development? That is a long time to be too high for storage, too low for normal incubation. If you don't have other eggs to start right away, it would be interesting to set them for a few days and see if any progress, but I would expect a much lower than normal hatch rate, unfortunately.

Hi there. It really depends on the age of the eggs befire you set them. Setting them after they're 7 to 10 days old diminishes the chances of hatching.
Thanks, the hen eggs were only a couple of days old as they are from my hens but I bought the quail eggs so don’t know how old they are.

Did the candling show any development? That is a long time to be too high for storage, too low for normal incubation. If you don't have other eggs to start right away, it would be interesting to set them for a few days and see if any progress, but I would expect a much lower than normal hatch rate, unfortunately.
Thanks for your response, No I could not really see any signs of development with the candling, I have fresh hen eggs but it was really the quail I was wanting to hatch and I bought them so can’t get more

That's a shame about the temp. I'd be disappointed to. I'd just carry on with them for another week and see if they'll develop. I think you'd soon know.

Back
Top Bottom