Incubator temperature under 100 deg.

dorthal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
North Alabama
I have had eggs in my incubator and the temperature was between 99 and 99.5 degrees. Is that too cool? How will that affect my hatch? Also the chicken eggs I have in there are my little showgirl's second round of eggs. Yesterday, one was peeping and this morning when I got up, it had zipped 3/4 of the way around and died. Is it my temperature, or what?

How is your humidity? That is the factor that matters most when they are hatching.

There are any number of reasons why it could have died.

99.5 is perfect for a still air. 99 is OK too, they just take longer to develop.

Last edited:
is this a diy bator or a brought one?

just for reference i havent got to hatch day yet and am concerned as my temps are all over the shop with 3 different thermostats my glass ones says 102 and the digital 98 so i am going that is ok on average. i have a diy bator 2 bulbs and fans.

did anything else hatch etc or did they all die? or is that the first one?

and i know this may sound silly but is your thermostat hygrometer inside the incubator as i was making that mistake taking readings from the unit and only had the probe inside lol the unit itself is the hygrometer lol no damage done there tho it was day 3 lol just a bit too much water but all adjusted now.

Quote:
My incubator is a styrofoam still-air(bought). That was the first, all my eggs are different dates, because I only have one Showgirl and she was laying ever other day and everywhere but her nest. I collected and put in incubator. I have another incubator heated up and I put them in it on the 18th day for hatching. She is laying in her nest now, she has 6 eggs so far, but no sign of going broody. I have two eggs that appear to have chicks, due to hatch yesterday and today. No peeps yet. I have six more eggs in the bator, I am worried about all of them. I have adjusted temperature on bator and not it is at 101deg.

My thermometers and inside the incubators, top of eggs. Hygrometer inside also.

Thanks to all.

Quote:
How much longer? Mine were usually hatching early, because I was at 102, I like that better, but this bator's control is so sensitive.

101 for still air when measured at the top of the egg.
stillair2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom