Incubator temperature, where to measure when checking..

nzchicke

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
I am just wondering what the temp should be in my incubator/s and where should this be measured.
Both have fans and I have read that the temp should be around 37.5 celcius (99.5F)
Also have read that a still air is different because of thermal layering, but after testing my incubators (hen egg- 24 and 48 desk top types) there is still thermal laying I guess just not to such a degree. Top of incubator reading is around 39- 39.5(102.2-103F). I recently put one incubator temp up because of slow/late hatching, but after I had about a 30% hatch rate this time I am thinking that I may have a 'lack of oxygen' problem with that one and not to do with the temp at all. (this one is a Rcom suro 24), as the other one that had my friends eggs in (and a few of mine) there was an 88% hatch rate. But I got a few chicks with bent toes/curled under feet!
So when checking the temp should I be checking around the top/beside the egg level to make sure that is the 37.5(99.5F)??

I used a online C to F converter so sorry if they are out a bit!

This is the same problem I had. I use an LG still air; the instructions say 99 on top of eggs, well in a still air that makes the rest of the egg less that 99. In a fan LG 99 is fine as its through the layers the same. I called Miller Little Giant and the lady said the 99 is at half the height of the egg.

In my LG, I keep some thermometers at 99 and a couple on top at 101.5-102.

I have just had an excellent hatch! They were due last night (12hours ago) and I now have all but 1 hatched out of 23 (I still have my fingers x-ed for it!). I found that my best hatch rates are when they are incubated in my large incbator- which I think is about 19yrs old!(dominion incubator made in nz). And I have just used my Rcom as a hatcher as I just can't seem to get decent results from incubating in it !
I am also using dry incubating and hatching as I had big problems with sticky chicks, and I rekon with lack of oxygen also, and I have no problems with it and will never go back to adding water
smile.png
It runs at about 20-40 rh and after first chickie hatches it goes up a bit.

My last small hatch last week went through some power outage and half hatched 5 days late and to my surprise they had nothing wrong with them!

I once put a thermometer under a broody hen and it was very interesting! her tummy temp was 40c and I also did an inside egg yolk temp with an infertile and it was 37.5c she was a very obliging to sit there with a thermometer in one of her eggs lol!

Back
Top Bottom