1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator temperature, where to measure when checking..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nzchicke, Jul 23, 2011.

1. nzchicke

nzchicke Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    I am just wondering what the temp should be in my incubator/s and where should this be measured.
    Both have fans and I have read that the temp should be around 37.5 celcius (99.5F)
    Also have read that a still air is different because of thermal layering, but after testing my incubators (hen egg- 24 and 48 desk top types) there is still thermal laying I guess just not to such a degree. Top of incubator reading is around 39- 39.5(102.2-103F). I recently put one incubator temp up because of slow/late hatching, but after I had about a 30% hatch rate this time I am thinking that I may have a 'lack of oxygen' problem with that one and not to do with the temp at all. (this one is a Rcom suro 24), as the other one that had my friends eggs in (and a few of mine) there was an 88% hatch rate. But I got a few chicks with bent toes/curled under feet!
    So when checking the temp should I be checking around the top/beside the egg level to make sure that is the 37.5(99.5F)??

I used a online C to F converter so sorry if they are out a bit!

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:there ya go...

3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Looks like you have the temps correct. i take readings from the top of my eggs, and it seems to work well.

4. nzchicke

Jan 28, 2010
    What is more likely to cause the foot problems? too low or too high?

5. yinepu

Quote:too high.. it makes them develop too rapidly

6. yinepu

however too low isn't good either (results in late hatches and weaker chicks).. so if you can get it spot on all the better

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I measure the temp at the same level as the eggs are. I recently had a 100% hatch.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is the same problem I had. I use an LG still air; the instructions say 99 on top of eggs, well in a still air that makes the rest of the egg less that 99. In a fan LG 99 is fine as its through the layers the same. I called Miller Little Giant and the lady said the 99 is at half the height of the egg.

In my LG, I keep some thermometers at 99 and a couple on top at 101.5-102.

9. nzchicke

Jan 28, 2010
    I have just had an excellent hatch! They were due last night (12hours ago) and I now have all but 1 hatched out of 23 (I still have my fingers x-ed for it!). I found that my best hatch rates are when they are incubated in my large incbator- which I think is about 19yrs old!(dominion incubator made in nz). And I have just used my Rcom as a hatcher as I just can't seem to get decent results from incubating in it !
    I am also using dry incubating and hatching as I had big problems with sticky chicks, and I rekon with lack of oxygen also, and I have no problems with it and will never go back to adding water [​IMG] It runs at about 20-40 rh and after first chickie hatches it goes up a bit.

My last small hatch last week went through some power outage and half hatched 5 days late and to my surprise they had nothing wrong with them!

I once put a thermometer under a broody hen and it was very interesting! her tummy temp was 40c and I also did an inside egg yolk temp with an infertile and it was 37.5c she was a very obliging to sit there with a thermometer in one of her eggs lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by