Incubator thermometer placement for accurate readings

Do double check the internal fan is running (you should be able to hear and/or feel the slight vibration from it) as it should be mixing the air in the incubator so it will eventually even out any temperature differences. ie the cooler air near the govee should get mixed in and drop the temperature measured by the incubator sensor and trigger it to warm up.
I can hear the fan running. Maybe it just hadn't been cool long enough for it to trigger. After closing the door and some windows which were open, it is back up to 99.5.
:D

Now the Govee is reading 97.6, and the aquarium one has also dropped! I haven't opened the lid or anything, and the incubator still says 99.5. Is it possible the incubator temperature is unstable?
Very possible and even likely.
Sometimes, the smaller the unit, the more vulnerable it is to ambient temperature swings.
I even insulate the top of my cabinets to slow the effects of room temperature changes.

This is likely the cause of your lower hatch rates.

Very possible and even likely.
Sometimes, the smaller the unit, the more vulnerable it is to ambient temperature swings.
I even insulate the top of my cabinets to slow the effects of room temperature changes.

This is likely the cause of your lower hatch rates.
Yeah, it's back down again so I raised the incubator to 100. I'm not really sure what I can do to keep it stable... would a towel over it be too bad for the ventilation? Is it better to leave it alone or keep adjusting it?

Try building a wall around it just a couple inches from the incubator. You could do that with cardboard. As heat escapes, it will be contained in your tiny homemade room. Or you could put it in a closet.
Just don't block any air holes.
But inconsistency and 97F can both be problems.
The beautiful thing is that now you know you can't trust the incubator reading.

Try building a wall around it just a couple inches from the incubator. You could do that with cardboard. As heat escapes, it will be contained in your tiny homemade room. Or you could put it in a closet.
Just don't block any air holes.
But inconsistency and 97F can both be problems.
The beautiful thing is that now you know you can't trust the incubator reading.
Thank you, I will try that!

Since we keep our house cooler than is recommended for the incubator and the only place I could find that had stable temperatures was the laundry room, I made the incubator a little shelter to help hold heat, prevent drafts, and moderate the local environment.

0208221642.jpg

(It's also proof against curious cats this way).

Since we keep our house cooler than is recommended for the incubator and the only place I could find that had stable temperatures was the laundry room, I made the incubator a little shelter to help hold heat, prevent drafts, and moderate the local environment.

View attachment 3006535

(It's also proof against curious cats this way).
That's awesome, I will try to set something up as soon as I can and see how it works. I had trouble finding a good spot too; we have big excitable dogs.

Back
Top Bottom