Incubator Thermometers

byc_user

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
I recently bought more incubator thermometers. I am incubating rouen duck eggs as they come in my Hovabator 2370. The Hovabator is set to factory default of 100.0F. The two new Govee's and Fisherbrand thermometer read 100-100.1F. The Inkbird ITH-10's read 98.2F, 1.8F lower than the other 3.
Ensuring the incubator temperature is correct can be frustrating without accurate thermometers.
Dear backyard chickens members. What thermometers do you use, and what do you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_122346.jpg
    IMG_20230717_122346.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 28
Our Ink Bird is way off too, like 10 degrees, but I don't pay attention to it anyway as I have a Govee on the floor of the brooder and just make adjustments as needed.

Govee is my favorite because it has a free phone app. I tested by sticking all 5 of my thermometer/hygrometers separately in a zip lock bag and putting them in a bowl of ice water which is 32F, one at a time, for a few minutes. Then I let them come back almost to room temp and stuck them in the freezer for a few minutes to see how close they match the readout on the freezer's digital thermometer. Then I put them all into the NR 360 I had already determined was 1.5F too low, then into the Brinsea 56EX that was within .5F. Govee was the closest in the end being within .5F, but you can adjust those if you believe it's off. The other ones I couldn't change I put a label on the back +1, -1.5, etc., so they can still be used accurately by me doing the adjustment.

Pic is of our brooder with the Ink Bird.

Attachments

• thermostat.jpg
    thermostat.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom