Incubator thermostat.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalator, Oct 19, 2008.

1. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    does ant body know if a water heater thermostat will work in the cabinet bator im bulidin. my heat source is a light buld.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It should, just make sure to attach it to something metal, and be sure to have a fan in the bator, to circulate the heat.

3. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I don't know what a water heater theromstat costs, but if I were building your type of incubator I would spring for $17.00 and get a complete Hovabator unit from GQF. This would be way more sensitive than a water heater unit and easier to adjust.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  4. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    This is dave27889. I am running a comparison on the waterheater thermostat against the wafer type thermostat and the wafer is keeping the unit well within the desired rage with less than a 2 degree range. The waterheater thermostat is ranging about 20 degrees different. THE WATERHEATER IS GOING FROM 104 TO A LOW OF 84 DEGREES BEFORE IT KICKS BACK IN. IT IS TAKING ABOUT 15 MINS TO CYCLE THROUGH THE RANGE. That is a pretty wide range. I have never hatched eggs so i am no expert but I would think that might make a difference. The wafer also stopped the heat (Light bulb) to within a degree. It is set at 100 degrees and the saturation went to 101 degrees. The range is a low of 99 degrees and a high of 101 degrees. The waterheater is set at 100 degrees and the saturation went to 104 degrees. I have both bators loaded with a dozen store bought eggs and everything else is the same. I have the waterheater thermostat mounted on a metal 4 by 4 steel plate. The wafer cost me less than $20.00 and the waterheater thermostat cost me $8.00 at Lowe's. You could wire in two of the waterheater thermostats to cover the range but then you would be up to the price of the wafer thermostat and it is a lot better IMO. These are homemade foam cooler incubators I made. I am trying to see which works best and then hatch some chicks for myself. I am then going to make about 20 of these type bators and sell them localy and then have the cub scouts that I work with make a couple for themselves to work with. I hope this helps and feel free to email me if you need to. Thanks, Dave27889

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by