Incubator use question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I've been wondering...

If you are using an incubator to hatch eggs, and if its a room that is REALLY quiet, like in a basement, etc, will the hatch rate drop if there's not enough noise? (Such as no noise from mother birds or other birds nearby?)

I've been wondering and worried about this.

I have been trying to hatch some khaki campbell eggs. And a week ago when I candled them they all looked great. But right now I can't tell if any of them are alive. The huge difference confused me. A week ago I saw live veins in over 80% of them and it looked like everything was viable. Now I'm not sure if any are alive. And I can't explain why, except if a family member did something they shouldn't, or if they didn't feel any life or sound and just failed to thrive?

Right now they are at the 26 day mark. And to be fair they are dark. But I think that several of them have failed. (Frustrated on this.)

And wondered if others experienced this also.

I found when one of my duck eggs died just before they were due to hatch it developed dark, bruised patches on the shell. If they still look full and dark inside when you candle them I'm sure they are fine.

Ducklings (and other baby birds) communicate with each other pre hatch far more than they do with a parent bird. That's how they synchronize their hatch, and the clicking noise they make can actually speed up younger embryos metabolisms so that they catch up with the others.

I posted a scientific study about that here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/really-interesting-article.1358854/

And another member had a story to share that demonstrated the same thing that they posted in the thread.

I found when one of my duck eggs died just before they were due to hatch it developed dark, bruised patches on the shell. If they still look full and dark inside when you candle them I'm sure they are fine.

Ducklings (and other baby birds) communicate with each other pre hatch far more than they do with a parent bird. That's how they synchronize their hatch, and the clicking noise they make can actually speed up younger embryos metabolisms so that they catch up with the others.

I posted a scientific study about that here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/really-interesting-article.1358854/

And another member had a story to share that demonstrated the same thing that they posted in the thread.

That's so cool!

I hope it works out like you say. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom