Incubator vs. Hatcher . . . what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicknjane, Oct 20, 2009.

1. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I want to eventually get an incubator to hatch my own eggs. So I've been watching the threads in this forum and I've seen some people mention moving their eggs from the incubator to the hatcher.

Do I need to buy something in addition to the incubator? I thought I could just hatch them in the incubator and then put them in the brooder.

I'm worried I'm going to get myself into another expensive addiction . . . um, I mean hobby.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You can hatch them in the incubator.

I *think* some people use a separate incubator as a hatcher, so they can get the one dedicated to incubating full of eggs again.

3. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Oooh, now I get it. It's all about hatching more eggs. Not necessarily about creating a different environment for the pipping. Thank you.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It's a good idea for doing staggered hatches.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Yeah, you can start a new batch every five days or so, without worrying about turning vs. lockdown. If you think you can hold yourself back to just one clutch at a time, hatching in the incubator is fine.

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Quote:I manage to hold myself to one clutch at a time. I have the Brinsea Mini Advance which basically does everything for me. For all the ranting about not opening the incubator during the hatch, I have the brooder next to the 'bator and when there are three or more chicks hatched, I quickly open the 'bator and move them to the brooder. I find they don't dry very well when there are more than a couple hatched. I got seven out of seven last week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by