Incubator wasn't turning! What's going to happen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heatherspangler, May 5, 2008.

1. heatherspangler

heatherspangler Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have 4 dozen eggs in my incubator....I'm not sure how long but they weren't turning. I'm not a pro at this and we're very busy people so i really didn't notice they werent turning. It was probably a week at least. Anyone know what will happen to the babies? It's a large forced air type incubator. Everyone that i've talked to isnt' sure what will happen. They are due to hatch Thursday.

2. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    I have read that some people don't turn and still get a good hatch. It may decrease your hatch rate slightly (maybe not!), but I think you can still expect some to hatch provided all the other conditions have been okay.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I noticed mine was not turning while I was "practicing" and had it running for two days before I got my eggs in the mail. Did yours come out of the track like mine did? I lifted the turner to put tin foil over the surface area and I bumped it out of the track. Glad I seen it before I put the eggs in. Did your eggs hatch yet? And how did they do?

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I didnt turn the eggs at all on my last hatch and got 14 out of 19. I was happy with those results. I used a forced air little giant. So, dont give up on yours. Good luck.

5. heatherspangler

heatherspangler Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Yes! They are hatching. WE have 11 out so far, about 5 more halfway here. Theres still several who havent pipped yet but i think i feel motion in some and its only day 22 today so i'm holding out for the weekend at least. [​IMG]

6. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i would keep them till day 25 at least

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by