incubator with no humidity measurement??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by molly1chickens, Jul 20, 2016.

1. molly1chickens

molly1chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2016
    My incubator has no way to tell the humidity and it is to small to put a thermometer measuring humidity in it. I am not sure if I am putting too much or too little water in. Is this a problem?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Flying blind with humidity is a bit risky as incorrect humidity levels can mess up your hatch and cause problems and possible hatch failures. You should be able to get a cheap, but good hygrometer at any good pet shop. They stock and sell them for reptile keepers.

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    What incubator are you using? I have the small brinsea mini and I love my little dial hygrometer. It's cheap and easy to calibrate and fits in the tiny bator.
    [​IMG]

4. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    This temp/humidity monitor is very small, but easy to read:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXEA3X0

The picture there makes it look big, but it is 2 inches x 1 inch x 0.5 inch. I checked the calibration using the salt method. The humidity readout was dead-on.

5. molly1chickens

molly1chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2016
    Thank you. In the end I got a new and better incubator. Thanks for the help, i will make sure to buy a humidity monitor if I next use it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by