marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
I set two batches of eggs about two weeks apart so I had to move one set out to hatch the first set. The second set was really a test batch of mostly silkies to check fertility. Well something happened with the temps in that one, kept spiking, and I lost every chick. Most were fully formed and all were fertile. But boy was that hard. All those babies, just gone! But I guess at least the eggs are being fertilized.

Marie

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
It is hard. But I am glad to know my next silkies will be nice. Some of the ones I opened up had huge vaults!

Marie

Echoes

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Connecticut
Ahhh. I'm on day 18 with mine and I afraid that's what happened to me. In the past couple of days it has spiked to around 104!, maybe even alittle higher when I wasn't around. A few stilll seem to have movement in them so I'm hoping that they will pull through.

How likely is it that mine will make it?

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
Not sure the humidity was not off. But I think it was ok.Butthe temps were off. The therm. said 104 one time and 103 one time but I don't know how long it had been that temp. I did not really check them very often until I realized the temps were doing that. Then I put in a reg. human therm. and it said like 105 or something. It was crazy. Won't hatch anymore until I get it figured out, at least not in that bator. And the therm may be messed up, although in my genesis it says a constant 100-101 all the time. I really had not intended on letting these hatch, was just a test hatch for fertility. I was going to take the eggs out early on because I already knew I had the batch of seramas. But I could not throw them out after seeing they are fertile. But it did allow me to sell fertile eggs with confidence. So it did serve a purpose. But it is so hard to lose them.

Marie

Mourningdove

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Cleveland, Tn.
Quote:please excuse my question but what do you mean by huge vaults?

wondering the same thing

I am really needing to have that answer as I never heard that phrase before and I am waiting on the silke eggs I bought from her, will I have the same outcome?

Top Bottom