incubator won't hold tempature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robo, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have a Little Giant still air incubator, and when the house temp goes up a little bit it will change the temp and humidity by a lot. Does anyobdy know how to get it to hold it's temp better?

2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I had the same trouble with my LG and basically the only thing that fixed the problem was to spot in the house to put it that keeps a pretty steady ambient air temperature. I had mine out in an insulated shed that I thought held a steady temperature but it turns out i was wrong. My bator temp was all over the place from 96 to 103 degrees. I VERY carefully moved the incubator and eggs into a corner our spare bedroom that is away from the windows/doors and since then it stays right between 99.4 and 101. If you can't find a place in your house where the ambient air temperature stays steady you're probably going to be fighting the incubator and adjusting constantly.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We cured that problem by finding a large box to contain it: an air conditioner box. We also put doorweatherstripping between the two halves, and weight the top down with a heavy candle. Added a computer fan too.
    Holds steady now. If room temp really plummets - like the air conditioner goes on- I toss a blanket over the top of the box to eliminate any drafts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by