Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willyronis, Aug 16, 2007.

1. willyronis

willyronis New Egg

Aug 15, 2007
    I am new to the Poultry world.
    I am looking to buy a Incubator.
    What is the best one to buy. I will be hatching Call duck and Indian runner eggs, not on a huge scale, just a few.
    10 or 15.

2. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I bought a Hovabator. They have the ones with thermostats so you don't have to adjust the temperature and also come with forced air. You need to buy an egg turner also. I bought the 1588 and it came with egg turner and 30 quail eggs. It has a clear top so you can watch the hatch. The GQF site had the best deal too. Little Giant also makes incubators.
    Ebay has a lot of new ones of both brands for sale.

Susie

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some of us made our own.

4. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I made mine, but this is my first hatch, so I'm not sure how well it works yet. Good luck!

5. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    I just found a good one on Craig's List. It's a Lyons & was brand new. The fellow I bought it from was even willing to ship it for me. Just do your research beforehand so you know what it would cost to buy it new from a retailer. Mine is for the long-term (probably next spring) goal of hatching peacocks, which require more space (bigger eggs), so you may also want to do some research re: which incubator has the capacity to meet your goals re: breed.

Good luck!

Laura

6. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I will be hatching Call duck and Indian runner eggs, not on a huge scale, just a few.
    10 or 15.

LOL That is what we all thought. It startes out at a few and then IT GROWS!!!! I have one Little Giant, 2 home made, 1 I use all the time and another just for back up, and now my sister just gave me a Lyons T6, I am using that to hatch smaller numbers of eggs.. Point is once you start it only get bigger.. Go with the flow and dont fight it though, you wont win. I told the DH this spring that I was not going to hatch eggs this year and that I would just buy some chicks. I have hatched about 40 to 50 chicks now and still have about 4 to 5 dozen to go. 2 are in bators now and I still have eggs coming.. Good luck, Jenn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by