Incubator

Kimfalgoust

Hatching
Aug 29, 2023
when I first tried my incubator I couldn’t keep the humidity right, back and forth and I lost all the eggs. I’m trying again and confused on how I don’t have any water in it but humidity stays at 76

Attachments

• IMG_6834.jpeg
    IMG_6834.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 34
There is a general level of humidity in the air around us.

If it’s properly calibrated, I would suspect that that is the relative humidity in the air outside the incubator.

Or , at least the humidity inside, using outside air, when you correct for temperature differential.

The incubator uses the water you add to change humidity levels and correct for “dry conditions” or low ambient temperatures.

I’m new to this so should I add water? Would that bring it higher ?
Others are going to have way more experience than me.

There should be a process to calibrate the hydrometer (device that shows the humidity).

Then, you should keep the water reservoir topped off so the incubator can do its job.

Opening the incubator can throw off the temp (and by extension humidity) much like a grill or oven, so limit the amount you open it.

If you haven’t, look up “lockdown”, where it’s even more important to limit the amount you open the unit.

And if you haven’t, try searching your incubator brand and model. There’s probably already a thread on here that will give you more detailed advice.

You don't need the humidity level to stay consistent throughout the first 18 days.
Are you just going by the humidity display built into the incubator?
If it is truly 76% do not add water. That is already way too high.

yes I am going by the humidity on the incubator. First time I tried to hatch only one was fully developed but died in egg, decided to try again, didn’t put any water and it was ready 76 for hours.

Some of the incubators humidity gauges aren't accurate.
Might want to get a separate reliable one to put inside to double check the incubator's.
I dry hatch for the first 18 days so I run mine without any water but it's super rare to really get above 50% or so.
76% I'd be thinking about putting a dehumidifier close if it's constantly that high. I don't think you'd have much luck hatching with those levels.

Back
Top Bottom