Incubators Anonymous

You know, the past couple years, I've been doing to get my hands on another sportsman incubator.... now I know someone selling off several big cabinet bators... and I'm no longer interested. I'm downsizing my chicken flock this year and will be hatching way less. Though I don't think I'll ever completely stop. All turkey eggs STILL will be going in! Lol

I am still using the 1934 model cabinet one I found here a couple years ago... still running like a champ. it probably wouldn't hurt it if I shut it off more than 2 weeks per year but what kind of fun would that be??? looking to move eggs to lockdown this eve. and set as many more as I can fit... only running 3 incubators right now. the cabinet only holds 82 by the time I stuffed 2 stand alone turners in there, the brinsea ovation ex56 has been my hatcher for large batches and the little nr360 works for hatching small batches but is full and in incubation mode right now... we did manage to do some major cleaning and rearranging of brooders last night so it will be easier to keep things clean and moving forward.

I cleaned a brooder today too now that the majority of the chicks are gone. The last 2 in there are thoroughly enjoying their nice clean "room". I finally got a brooder plate after years of eyeing them up. I think DH is loving not having a bright red heat lamp glowing in the bedroom all night lol

20210121_165951.jpg
20210121_170007.jpg

Back when my hen went broody, only 1-2 hens were laying. Plus many eggs got frozen and fertility lower in winter. Only one egg developed and hatched.

Two weeks later, more orpingtons started laying. I couldn't resist and have a dozen developing eggs in the incubator. I was tempted to hold off and give her those chicks, but I was also afraid she'd break soon. (Been broody since mid December)

In the midst of today's big snowstorm, I'm thinking spring.

IMG_6561 (2).JPG

IMG_6563 (2).JPG

The mama and chick are happy and doing well. (So odd to only have ONE) I like to keep them inside for a day to make sure chick(s) eating and drinking. Now I hope the peeping encourages another hen to go broody before the incubator eggs hatch.

I feel like I belong here.
Fairly new to chickens and hatching, but the bug certainly has gotten me. Convinced my bf that it would be fun with just a couple of chickens, started out two years ago with 4 ladies.
Today I have 11 hens and two roosters, 13 eggs in the incubator and three more just happened to find themselves under a hen who decided to go broody.
Although it's only my third hatch in an incubator so far, I have a strong feeling I might at least double that number this year...
Oh, and I'm so excited to find out what this hatch will come to, as it will be a surprise if the chicks will be pure polish or a mix with showgirl! 😅

My addiction is mainly turkeys and guineas but since it is really too early for them I have to rely on chicken eggs. Today joining the 12 Bourbon turkey eggs in the cabinet incubator are 150 chicken eggs.

There are 48 white leghorn eggs (fertilized by a cream legbar rooster) destined to be Sapphires that will lay blue eggs. Another 23 are from Rose Comb Brown Leghorns that are in with the same Cream Legbar rooster. These should produce legbar looking chicks with rose combs and the hens should lay blue eggs except that one of the hen's eggs seem to have a slight brown tinge to them and those may well produce green eggs.

There are also 32 eggs from Sapphires bred to the same legbar rooster and these will grow into blue egg producers. Then come the 33 pure breed Welsummers and 14 eggs from my White Laced Red Cornish/Light Brahma cross hen who was stuck in with the Welsummer rooster.

I have had my cabinet incubator since the late 1980s and finally broke down and bought a cabinet hatcher last year.

Just waiting for the turkeys and guineas to start laying to further feed my addiction.

Have fun everyone.
Can you put a Guinea egg in incubator with chicken eggs

Back
Top Bottom