Incubators Anonymous

Lol i wouldn't know where to go... im a native
roll.png

That would be my problem too..... I am comfortable here.

Yes you should also be enjoying the flooding on top of the inch thick ice that has not melted and going to freeze again tonight. It was a balmy 42 today and still I am on the frozen tundra.... tomorrow will be another balmy day of 33. Did I mention the water is frozen in all the pens and we have to carry water over the ice to water them? You keep your sunny weather...... go ahead KEEP it! I like my seasons..... but not this much. LOL
Oh geeze...BRRRRRRR!!! I do miss the fact that we don't have seasons here...well we do have one season...summer
cool.png
all year...LOL! We are excited if we get a little drizzle...let alone real rain! But we are a desert after all so what can we expect
idunno.gif

Lol i wouldn't know where to go... im a native
roll.png
Yep! Not sure how I would handle moving someplace with actual seasons and weather
hmm.png

Im in maricopa az. Loving the weather here!! I love watching the winter weather on the news with my nice 78 degrees outside here
wink.png
im starting early with my hatching of some ancona duck and blue swedish duck eggs ill be working on getting some english lavender orpington eggs here soon for the hatchalong
Tell me a bit about your swedish ducks. Do you find they are friendlier than other breeds? I have read online that it depends on where they came from because not all swedish ducks are pet friendly.

Tell me a bit about your swedish ducks. Do you find they are  friendlier than other breeds? I have read online that it depends on where  they came from because not all swedish ducks are pet friendly.

i havent had them before. i got the eggs local from a breeder. From rarebirdfarm.com very nice guy. He also had ancona ducks as well. I had ancona ducks before but they were a week old and didnt really want to be around me at all. So i figures i would give these guys a shot and hatch them myself so i can have them think of me as mommy ;)

Ok, so here we go again with ANOTHER few nights below 0'F! My poor roo's comb will be as smooth as a baby's bottom by the end of this winter!

I couldn't resist any longer! I need to feel like spring is coming, so I went to the attic to get the old incubator. I was only wanting to tweak it, but somehow about a dozen eggs found their way inside. Afterwards,I told DH that I needed to test the fertility of our roo. (We've been eating the eggs & I can clearly see the bull's eyes....) I am so bad.
hide.gif

Looks like I'll have some St Patrick's Day chicks hatching.

I just candled my full tray of eggs in my HovaBator and all my pure silver-laced Wyandotte eggs were clear. Has anyone had to clip the vents? Last month I had some barnyard mixes from the same rooster, so I know he's not infertile.

I just candled my full tray of eggs in my HovaBator and all my pure silver-laced Wyandotte eggs were clear. Has anyone had to clip the vents? Last month I had some barnyard mixes from the same rooster, so I know he's not infertile.
Do you ever see him mount them? I got a Black Copper Maran rooster that Just Give "IT" up never tried with his 4 ladies---I put a 10 month old BCM in with those ladies----He takes care of them. I put a 9 month old Silver Lace Wyandotte rooster with 5 older hens---I think the older hens intimidated him---all unfertile eggs for about 2 months---then about 1/5th were fertile(I set every week) then as he got older and braver they got better---now most are fertile. I have Never clipped the vents. I was told by a very experienced chicken raiser that if the rooster was mounting them--but the eggs were staying unfertile-----to clip around the Males "area" first-----which has always solved his problems.

Last edited:
The older hens definitely intimidate a young roo. When our "Tank" was about 5 mo old, he started crowing & mounting the pullets his same age. When he tried to dance, the older hens would peck at him to keep away & to remind him he wasn't a big boy yet. Eventually, he tried sneak attacks & again got pecked. Finally (at around 9 months old) he took control of the flock & the big hens allowed him to sleep on the upper roost. That's when I finally noticed their eggs were fertile.

BTW- I do not see him mount much when I'm around. Also, there are no bald spots on the hens. I'm thinking he's a "gentleman" & the hens are willing. (No squawking which is what used to catch my attention.) He does not mount the young pullets just starting to lay. Those stay away from the flock. The only time I saw them interact is when an older hen was picking on one; Tank stepped in between & stopped the fight. I'm not sure if he considers them as "his" or if they're just not submissive yet.

Do you ever see him mount them? I got a Black Copper Maran rooster that Just Give "IT" up never tried with his 4 ladies---I put a 10 month old BCM in with those ladies----He takes care of them. I put a 9 month old Silver Lace Wyandotte rooster with 5 older hens---I think the older hens intimidated him---all unfertile eggs for about 2 months---then about 1/5th were fertile(I set every week) then as he got older and braver they got better---now most are fertile. I have Never clipped the vents. I was told by a very experienced chicken raiser that if the rooster was mounting them--but the eggs were staying unfertile-----to clip around the Males "area" first-----which has always solved his problems.

Yes, he does mount them. I have one chick from the last batch that a friend hatched out for me. And one chick that didn't make it. I think only about 2 of 8 were fertile, but all the mixes were fertile from him (blue copper Marans, Minorca).

Looks like I'll be doing some manscaping!

Back
Top Bottom