Incubators Anonymous

I'll be able to start collecting eggs again here soon. the last 2 weeks, either I haven't gotten any eggs, or they're frozen solid by the time I do.

got 3 sfh hatched, 15 more due in a bit over a week, plus 6 tsc red/buff/white pullets to keep the 3 sfh company.

I have chicks due to hatch tomorrow and no idea where to put them.
hide.gif

I thought the chick room in the barn would be ready before now, but we've been having an unusually harsh winter for Texas and I haven't been able to get out there often enough to work on it.

Can't say I love the Nebraska weather right now but when it gets cold out I get lots of crocheting done. Going to put my stuff in a craft fair next fall. So far I have 35 hats done. When spring comes I'm totally outside so I guess season's changing is a good thing for me. Right now I have eggs about to hatch and not thrilled about it being this cold. I could use a little Arizona right now.

ladycat, My chicks started hatching yesterday. This is the first time I have had a broody hatch eggs. It sure is different to see chicks all fluffy and dry. I did miss getting to watch the chicks coming out one by one in the incubator. This is going to be a different experience. So far I think there are 4 for sure and it's hard to tell when they keep popping in out under mama. I have 9 eggs under her so it is exciting to see how she will do.

birdman, I have eggs hatching today too. They're under my broody so I'm not sure how many. I have seen four so far and there were 9 under her. Your chicks are real cute!

@ladycat when a hen hatches out her own chicks I keep them in the barn. When I hatch chicks from the incubator I keep them in the house in a box I built especially for chicks. It has a hardware cloth floor in it. New chicks are kept on soft drawer liner stuff for a few days... I have found that a 50 watt plant bulb put into a heat lamp and set directly over the chicks keeps them toasty warm. Sometimes I have to drape a white flour sack dish towel over it to help hold in more heat.

ok I've got some call duck eggs now, what kind of special treatment do they need compared to the average chicken egg? if anything?

I have been told by a breeder of them to not put them in a turner and to hand roll them. He also said to spritz them once a day with a light mist of water..... anyone else heard this?

I have been told by a breeder of them to not put them in a turner and to hand roll them. He also said to spritz them once a day with a light mist of water..... anyone else heard this?

I have read that they need to be spritz with water a couple of times a day.... they also need a cooling time everyday. I don't know about the turning thing.

@ki4got I don't think you can dry incubate them.... sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom