Incubators Anonymous

JekkaLynn:  I described that process, but can't for the life of me find where I read it, or remember the nitty-gritty details of what day you pull, and what temp you store them at.  Perhaps Sally Sunshine can help us.  But, here's an other idea to help you solve this most difficult problem:  And it's a real easy solution!  I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner!  Just buy yourself an other incubator.  (or make one!)  You can make a nice forced air incubator for about $20 - 30!

Personally I have been strongly hinting to my husband to build a cooler bator but I don't think I have too much of a chance with that happening. And buying a second incubator is out of the question...maybe I will look into the cooler bator option a little more...

Personally I have been strongly hinting to my husband to build a cooler bator but I don't think I have too much of a chance with that happening. And buying a second incubator is out of the question...maybe I will look into the cooler bator option a little more...
I made a cooler-bator & with all the links on BYC & youtube videos it wasn't very hard. (Downsde: Now you'll be able to hatch 2X the eggs. Once you build one, your eyes start looking at containers in a new way. " This would make a nice incubator, " Who knows how many extra incubators you'll make?

Option 2
You can also ask around to borrow one. If you belong to a local BYC thread, others there may have an incubator not in use. Friends who work at schools & libraries may have access to one used for education, Some home-school families or neighbors may have one in storage from when they hatched chicks years ago.

Like you, I had a similar incubation situation last spring. When I asked, I was offered 2 to borrow & given one to keep. It surprised me to learn that 3 people I know owned incubators.

Option 3
Try Craigslist or a similar local classified site. Not everybody holds onto them & you may get lucky.

Speaking of building an incubator, has anyone used an "Incukit"? It looks like a great idea & very simple. (I thought it was a little costly, so I bought used pieces off eBay.) In the end, I had to purchase a new cooler b/c I couldn't find a used one at the time of building. So my final cost turned out to be $55. ($20 of it was for just the cooler) Mine was cheaper, but took a weekend to build. They make it sound like when using the Incukit, it can be done in minutes.

I made a cooler-bator  & with all the links on BYC & youtube videos it wasn't very hard. (Downsde: Now you'll be able to hatch 2X the eggs.  Once you build one, your eyes start looking at containers in a new way. " This would make a nice incubator, "  Who knows how many extra incubators you'll make?

Option 2
You can also ask around to borrow one.  If you belong to a local BYC thread, others there may have an incubator not in use.  Friends who work at schools & libraries may have access to one used for education,  Some home-school families or neighbors may have one in storage from when they hatched chicks years ago. 

Like you, I had a similar incubation situation last spring.  When I asked, I was offered 2 to borrow & given one to keep.  It surprised me to learn that 3 people I know owned incubators.

Option 3
Try Craigslist or a similar local classified site.  Not everybody holds onto them & you may get lucky.

Wow....Option # 2....I was just asking my friend to join the Easter Hatch a Long with her incubator and she said she could not do other this year...which means she has an empty incubator... I can put half in each and then when I take out clears put them back together in one incubator!! GENIUS!!!

Now just cross your fingers that I can borrow it...

Sources for incubator parts: local pharmacy or pet store for styrofoam boxes (free) Computer repair shops, local dump for computer fans. Junk drawer for 12 V telephone charger. Basement, attic for old lamps. Same for picture frames. Now all you need is a thermostat and a couple of light bulbs.

I am also planning on asking my husband to dismantle the computer in our scrap metal pile and remove the fan...anyone know where on the computer it is?

I am also planning on asking my husband to dismantle the computer in our scrap metal pile and remove the fan...anyone know where on the computer it is?

There are 2. On is on the CPU on the Mother board about the size of a half dollar. The other one is on the Power Supply and is much bigger.

There are 2.  On is on the CPU on the Mother board about the size of a half dollar.  The other one is on the Power Supply and is much bigger.

Parts of that message I understood...
-there are two fans
-one is bigger
-they are located somewhere on the machine...

Sorry but I am technologically illiterate....

Back
Top Bottom