Incubators Anonymous

I got another incubator so I could stop stacking eggs, and I think I'm about to start stacking eggs again.
hide.gif

Out of the 9 eggs that went into lockdown, we now have 7 chicks & 2 tiny pips!
jumpy.gif

The web cam's a fun idea. At one point this afternoon I had 10 kids & 5 adults in the living room trying to see through the tiny windows of an old Hovabator. This was simply an incubator & fertility test. I wasn't expecting the whole neighborhood to come. Our "real" hatch will be set on Sunday. For that one I'll be using my home-made coolerbator with the big viewing window. -- Unless I have extra eggs in need of hatching. That's why I now have a back-up incubator! Uh-Oh Does this mean I'm officially joining "Incubators Anonymous"?

Did I really just set 270 eggs.... I do hope fertility is what I think it is and has NOT jumped up. Most I will sell. I just hope they sell quickly. LOL.

All 9 eggs that went into lockdown, hatched, & were moved into the brooder. I got 6 black & 3 lavender chicks.
So out of my 12 fertile eggs. 75% hatched. (If I didn't drop that egg, perhaps it would have been 83%. I still feel bad about that one!)
Here's a handful of cuteness.

I had to band some of the chicks so I can tell them apart. Some are mixes.
Like this Easter Egger Orpington. Looks like she got her Mama's cheeks.

Just don't take a pic of an EE at the wrong angle!

My busy brooder. I'm trying paper towels for the 1st 2-3 days. I think I still prefer the large wood flakes, though.

Please tell me how you stack your eggs. I'm going to set some this afternoon, and would like to put in a few extra so that when quitters/infertile eggs get removed, I'll still have a full load.

I don't stack them in the styro, I've heard of people stacking them on the auto turner but I don't know how they do it.

In the Brinsea I put the first layer of eggs in, then wrap some in paper towels and lay them on top of the bottom layer. Not a good thing to do, I'm sure. I can't wait to get a cabinet incubator!

I don't stack them in the styro, I've heard of people stacking them on the auto turner but I don't know how they do it.

In the Brinsea I put the first layer of eggs in, then wrap some in paper towels and lay them on top of the bottom layer. Not a good thing to do, I'm sure. I can't wait to get a cabinet incubator!
Which Brinsea are you using? I have the Octagon 20 Advance, and absolutely love it, but I'm debating getting something larger. I just have so many fertile eggs going to waste while the Brinsea is locked up for 3 weeks. I would love the have another 20, but it's not in the budget right now. I've thought about giving a styrobator another go, but I'm so spoiled with the Brinsea that I don't know if I could take that trauma again

Which Brinsea are you using? I have the Octagon 20 Advance, and absolutely love it, but I'm debating getting something larger. I just have so many fertile eggs going to waste while the Brinsea is locked up for 3 weeks. I would love the have another 20, but it's not in the budget right now. I've thought about giving a styrobator another go, but I'm so spoiled with the Brinsea that I don't know if I could take that trauma again

I have a regular Octagon 20 with the turning cradle. That's the one I stack in, and of course you can't stack very many in that little thing. Just an extra 12 or 16 eggs or so.

I just got another Octagon 20 without the cradle to use as a hatcher, well, I got it last month.

But I just don't have enough incubator space. And I can't buy another one right now, too much other stuff I need.

Back
Top Bottom