Incubators Anonymous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilyD, Sep 10, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    One tip....I don't take the eggs out of the tray. I candle in the tray so I don't have to worry about dropping them. It also goes much quicker. Sorry that happened... I hope you find some chicks. Might want to put an ad on CL to see if you can find some locally.

2. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    I wasn't sure if I am experienced enough to know what I was looking at. 3 of the eggs had some dark area, but as of today....lockdown, it is only a small area. The rest of the eggs are clear. My guess is that they were early quitters. I will look at them in a little while to see what was going on.

3. Flowerbh

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Ok, so my egg is in lockdown. I took the turner out and want to wash it. Do you guys take the little motor off and submerge it in bleach water? Just hot soapy water? Or do you just keep the motor on and dip it? Please let me know. My next batch of eggs comes next week and I want to get things in order. Thanks

4. SewChaos

SewChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have an incubator/hatcher question, I figured this might be a good place to ask. I have a homemade cooler-bator I made, and I'd like to turn it into a hatcher - Does it need to have a fan, or would a still-air work fine? When I used it as an incubator I didn't have a fan, but one of the air-bubble pumps from an aquarium pumped in fresh air and circulated it a bit.

Thoughts?

5. Flowerbh

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    I just cracked open the Legbar eggs after they were in the incubator until lockdown. There was no sign of any development. No blood, no nothing. The yolks were not intact, but kind-of scrambled. Could it be possible that these eggs were not fertile or would there be no sign of anything it the eggs were fertile but got jostled to death in the mail? Trying to learn. The two Isbar eggs sent with the CL eggs were both good.

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    unless i've had a stinker leak/explode, i just wash the egg rails (taken off the rack). hot soapy water should do just fine.

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hello! Glad I found this thread! DH bought me an incubator for Christmas and I have a feeling I am going to be hooked! I was riled with a broody and this will probably be even better! I have been wanting to hatch eggs for over a year now and I finally have the incubator and space to do it!

I am trying to hatch-to-sell as a business/hobby. I am fully open to any tips, advise or input! I have a farm inovators 4200 with turner and am currently eyeing some olive egger, true ameraucana, and EE eggs (one lot listing). I tried to get some 'farm fresh' mix eggs but there are none available.

8. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    i personally prefer circulated air... and make sure you have plenty of vent holes, hatching eggs need a lot more fresh air than early-set ones, as the chicks are just learning to breathe...

9. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    x2 or even a misting with bleach water sanitizer

10. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I think when they are scrambled like that it's from shipping damage. Infertile eggs that are still intact would probably still look like eggs, yolk intact, clear albumin, etc., and of course you can only tell for sure that they are infertile if there is no bullseye (blastoderm).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by