Incubators Anonymous

Hey guys I have a dead chick question--

I had 10 eggs go into lockdown and 4 hatched.  I had seen them rocking around and had heard chiriping, but they stopped moving all together.  I gently started to see if they needed an assist, but they were dead.  The 3 Olive Eggers were huge, so I think they couldn't get themselves in position to come out.  The 3 Marans had room to move around.  All were fully developed, just hadn't absorbed the last bit on the yolk it was still in there with them.  The humidity was great, and I'm pretty sure the temp was right as well.  Anyone know what could have caused this for future reference?  I think they died sometime early this morning as the other 4 all hatched last night.

I notice some people hatch in egg cartons, but I was thinking that could be difficult to push out of.  Maybe I'm thinking that could be better?  I had them in an automatic egg turner before lock down then just laid them down in the bator on their side at a slight angle.  The egg turner kept them almost upright.

In good news, I have 3 fluffy little Olive Eggers and a dark brahma/ blue copper marans mix that I am super excited about :jumpy

For Marans that are too big often the temps are high and 5 they grow fast or the membranes are streached. Did they internally pip?

No pipping. Their heads were folded in their bodies in a weird way.
The Marans were all normal size the Olive Eggers seemed really big (I believe the father was a Marans).
I'm wondering if it has something to do with going from the upright egg turner to lying down in the incubator they are unable to get in position in time?
I'm thinking with mail order eggs I should go into lockdown a day early so they have enough time to position since they are always ready to hatch at day 19/20.

No pipping.  Their heads were folded in their bodies in a weird way.
The Marans were all normal size the Olive Eggers seemed really big (I believe the father was a Marans).
I'm wondering if it has something to do with going from the upright egg turner to lying down in the incubator they are unable to get in position in time?
I'm thinking with mail order eggs I should go into lockdown a day early so they have enough time to position since they are always ready to hatch at day 19/20.

Shipped eggs I'd guess was streached membranes
Marans eggs do not ship terribly well.

No pipping. Their heads were folded in their bodies in a weird way.
I use cartons and turners but hatch in baskets on their sides. So do most commercial enterprises. My late dead in shell losses have always been humidity.

Here is some usefull stuff

Troubleshooting: Specific Problems

1. Sign: Not pipped. Full-term embryo, large yolk sac; yolk sac may not be fully enclosed by abdominal wall, may have residual albumen. Causes:
    1. Inadequate turning, resulting in decreased embryonic membrane development and nutrient absorption.
    2. Humidity too high during incubation or after transfer.
    3. Incubator temperature too low.
    4. Hatcher temperature too high.
    5. Eggs chilled (e.g., at transfer).
    6. Nutritional deficiencies.
    7. Heredity.
    8. Embryological development accident.
    9. Breeder diseases.
    10. Inadequate ventilation.
    11. Prolonged egg storage.
  2. Sign: Pipped. Full-term embryo, dead in shell. Causes:
    1. Low humidity or temperature for a prolonged period.
    2. Low humidity during hatching.
    3. High temperature during hatching.
    4. Nutritional deficiencies.
    5. Breeder diseases.
    6. Poor ventilation.
    7. Inadequate turning during first 12 days.
    8. Injury during transfer.
    9. Prolonged egg storage.

this comes from http://www.natureform.com/kb/index.php?article=1011 - an amazingly thorough article on hatchability analysis.

its worth bookmarking

Thanks for all the tips!
I think I need to go ahead & get one of those digital temp/humidity monitors not go by the bator.

The ones that did hatch are SO ridiculously cute!!!
There's one olive egger with a Blue Copper Marans dad & I'm guessing an Easter Egger mom because she's got the big puffy cheeks.
Cute little fur ball even has feathering on the shanks, her down is a silvery color.
I'll have to post some pics.

Thanks for all the tips!
I think I need to go ahead & get one of those digital temp/humidity monitors not go by the bator.

The ones that did hatch are SO ridiculously cute!!!
There's one olive egger with a Blue Copper Marans dad & I'm guessing an Easter Egger mom because she's got the big puffy cheeks.
Cute little fur ball even has feathering on the shanks, her down is a silvery color.
I'll have to post some pics.
ITS NOT REAL TILL WE SEE PICS

Yes it is a pixiebob the best of my work .
her tail is 1/4 inch too short to show so 1 3/4 inches

her brother has a long tail and her other brother has a perfect tail.
they are fun to raise .

OK here are a couple of my home Grown pixies and their parents
when i wanted a cat i seen one that looked like a bob cat but domestic so i went to get myself one
it was so inbred i was scared to touch it .
so i started my own line 5 yrs later i had my first girl i could show and KICKED butt 2 yrs in a row

Misspacific my cattery name is Oceansprite i do not dock tails and let the long tails go for much less and many of them have awesome bobcatty faces .
talk about being snakeless rattless and mouseless LOL

some of my kids

OH king triton Head shot LOL hes the best sire i have and the female is the Barn cat body shot i started my line with and a trio of availible kittens that are Amazingly bratty LOL

Back
Top Bottom