Incubators Anonymous

Guess what I found on CL today!

It's old and needs a complete cleaning, but it still works. Now, does anybody know anything about them? I can find tons of info online about the current models, not so much on the older ones...
not much has changed... set the temp, set the turner, let em go. you've all heard my opinions on humidity (or lack of)...

the turn-x and roll-x incubators have been around forever and were (and should still be) very reliable. if the wafer thermostat is sticky or even alittle flaky, replace it. the rest should be fine unless wiring is frayed.

I really can't understand people who incubate at 40% or higher and have no problems...I just hatched a bunch of chicks that were so gooey, I needed to help three of them, and I lost two to drowning. The humidity was at 20% the whole time, measured by a calibrated hygrometer...SO frustrating! I put no water in, and the only way I could have made it more dry was by adding rice or something to that effect. Can't believe it.

I really can't understand people who incubate at 40% or higher and have no problems...I just hatched a bunch of chicks that were so gooey, I needed to help three of them, and I lost two to drowning. The humidity was at 20% the whole time, measured by a calibrated hygrometer...SO frustrating! I put no water in, and the only way I could have made it more dry was by adding rice or something to that effect. Can't believe it.

What was your lockdown humidity?

Quote:
55-60% until chicks started hatching, then it went up to 71%. I wouldn't think lockdown humidity could cause goo buildup that quickly, could it?

No..... that wouldn't do it. Very odd.... I almost NEVER hatch gooey chicks and I keep mine on the high side of LOW humidity...... Sorry for the rough hatch. BTW are you getting any SLW chicks?

not much has changed... set the temp, set the turner, let em go. you've all heard my opinions on humidity (or lack of)...

the turn-x and roll-x incubators have been around forever and were (and should still be) very reliable. if the wafer thermostat is sticky or even alittle flaky, replace it. the rest should be fine unless wiring is frayed.
None of the wiring is frayed. A few of the screws are rusted or corroded. It needs cleaned badly. It reeks of stale cigarette smoke. Should I clean what I can reach, or take it all apart and hope it works when I put it back together?

No..... that wouldn't do it. Very odd.... I almost NEVER hatch gooey chicks and I keep mine on the high side of LOW humidity...... Sorry for the rough hatch. BTW are you getting any SLW chicks?

Yeah it is truly bizarre. I will re-calibrate my hygrometer, it's been a few months so perhaps that was the problem. It was also my HB forced air, not my Genesis, not sure why that would have anything to do with it but everything incubated in my Genesis has been fine...

Haven't found any yet, have you? I've got two eggs from the last set I bought (the two that developed) still going. The rest I confirmed were infertile
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom